Need help about rock and sand.

Thoax

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys just got back into the hobby ( been out for 7 years ). I just finished building my 350 reefer and I'm ready to order my rock and sand. I am located in Toronto Canada and had a few questions for you guys.

I was looking at getting Real reef rock and wanted to see what people thought about it? I've tried using the search but im on cell phone and its not working so im sorry if this has been asked already. Also i hear this rock comes wet and was wondering how long can it stay out of the water seeing as i would like to aquascape outside of the tank and water.

The other rock option would be the caribsea but i have not read anything about this one yet.

For the sand i wanted to try and go with Tropic Eden Mesoflakes but my problem is i cant find anyone in Canada that carries this sand, Dose anyone know any other sand that is the same?

Thanks

nautical_nathaniel

Indecision may or may not be my problem.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As long as the rock stays damp (if it is already wet when it arrives), then it should be alright. Also, special care should be taken to make sure it doesn't get too cold since you're in Canada and it's still wintery up there.

Amazon sales the sand in question, would you be able to order it in Toronto or does Amazon make it hard for "international" purchases?

sbash

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Greetings fellow Canadian!

If reel reef rock is that real but fake stuff, I am not fond of it. I have some from a system I purchased and I prefer working with natural rock. The also coloured mine a really fake looking blue... weird...

If the rock comes wet, it is best to not be out of the water for very long (minutes would be my preference); the longer the rock is out, the more stuff will die off...

That substrate looks like normal aragonite, which any of your LFSs would carry (Canada Corals, Fragbox, Big Als - maybe)...

125gSW

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
what I did was buy base rock, then I got a rock that had corraline on it from a friend and had that sit in the tank as a seeder, worked fine for me. But it does require patience, it has taken a while for but it did age well

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 46 16.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 18 6.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 35 12.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 159 57.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 6.8%
Back