0   0   0
Not too sure since you medicated him though

Miller535

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have never had a Gem tang, but they are in the Zebrasoma family. Which tends to be fairly aggressive (as far as tangs go). I would think it would be bullying a hippo that was half it's size and not the other way around. Makes me wonder if there wasn't something going on with it before you noticed the bullying.

OP
OP
M

mafiareefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have never had a Gem tang, but they are in the Zebrasoma family. Which tends to be fairly aggressive (as far as tangs go). I would think it would be bullying a hippo that was half it's size and not the other way around. Makes me wonder if there wasn't something going on with it before you noticed the bullying.

I thought the same thing and they have been best buds until now

Miller535

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am no tang expert, but in my experience, Tang's only "bully" or act stressed for that matter when they are not getting enough to eat and or water quality.

What have you been feeding them, and how often?

OP
OP
M

mafiareefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am no tang expert, but in my experience, Tang's only "bully" or act stressed for that matter when they are not getting enough to eat and or water quality.

What have you been feeding them, and how often?

Lrs 2 times a day and a little seaweed once a day. I doubt it would be water quality ammonia is fine and I did a 50% water change on Sunday

Miller535

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lrs 2 times a day and a little seaweed once a day. I doubt it would be water quality ammonia is fine and I did a 50% water change on Sunday

By water quality I meant more then just ammonia, and nitrate. I mean anything in the water it doesn't like.

Sounds like you're feeding enough. I really dont know

OP
OP
M

mafiareefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
By water quality I meant more then just ammonia, and nitrate. I mean anything in the water it doesn't like.

Sounds like you're feeding enough. I really dont know

dang wish I could do something was getting excited only a couple more days and he would of went into my system. Thought I was going to cross off one of my bucket list fish

OP
OP
M

mafiareefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anybody else have any suggestions!??I’m debating on doing a water change when I get home to bring down the prazi levels but I just did one Sunday and don’t want to stress him out anymore

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If the fish was not in fully therapeutic copper for a full 4 weeks let's call it 30 days, then it's likely something returned.

14 days won't cut it unless you transfer to a completely sterile quarantine, sharing nothing with the first, and you do not cross contaminate with the first or a "dirty" system.

piranhaman00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anybody else have any suggestions!??I’m debating on doing a water change when I get home to bring down the prazi levels but I just did one Sunday and don’t want to stress him out anymore

You have the info. It’s likely you were suppressing ich/velvet or something and now it’s returned that you lowered copper concentration.

Add an air stone, if ammonia is truly zero no need for w/c. If spots appear go to copper ASAP.

Reef AquaCult

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is he scratching? Swimming into current. Breathing heavy? It’s hard to tell on the pic does his skin and color look completely normal without lesions? Is it pooping? i agree a blue tang half the size is not the biggest issue here, unless the aggression is severe.

you can always restart copper at half dose and slowly go back up to therapeutic levels.

OP
OP
M

mafiareefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If the fish was not in fully therapeutic copper for a full 4 weeks let's call it 30 days, then it's likely something returned.

14 days won't cut it unless you transfer to a completely sterile quarantine, sharing nothing with the first, and you do not cross contaminate with the first or a "dirty" system.

I ended up dosing copper power. He look like he was getting worse. I’m not sure if I should make it therapeutic right away or half and then tmmr dose the rest. What do you guys think????

OP
OP
M

mafiareefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is he scratching? Swimming into current. Breathing heavy? It’s hard to tell on the pic does his skin and color look completely normal without lesions? Is it pooping? i agree a blue tang half the size is not the biggest issue here, unless the aggression is severe.

you can always restart copper at half dose and slowly go back up to therapeutic levels.

His skin color is not normal at all he’s completely white. I haven’t seen him poop. He’s hanging out at the very top almost with his head out of the water take a look at the first pic

OP
OP
M

mafiareefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am so sorry about your tang....! I just happened across this and I am keeping my fingers crossed for the little guy/gal. You are in good hands here!

Thank you! I know his chances are low but hoping for the best hopefully me putting copper back in the system gets him under control. Fingers crossed

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
only thing i can add at this point ,air stone heavily oxygenate that tank imo ,best wishes

reef80

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a gem tank earlier this year that could not take the therapeutic copper level (cupramine) and stopped eating and was swimming all bizarre like in circles and top of the water. He was disorientated and I think it was copper poison. I immediately reduce the level to half by replacing half the water and he immediately recover the next day. I took him out after a week in a sterile tank and he survived it quite well. Just my experience....

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 168 73.0%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 17 7.4%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 40 17.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 2.2%
Back