Need HELP! Aussie Gold Torch shriveling up.

Kmann321

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Help! My gold torch coral is shriveled up! I don't know what is causing this to happen. ALK 10.2/ Calc 444/ phos 0.02. I have put it in a lower flow area and have since added some chemi pure blue to the filter and have done a 10% water change. Any advice would be greatly appreciated THANK YOU.

Torch.jpg torch2.jpg

WIReefer

608 MOD SQUAD
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could you tell us a little more about your tank other parameters and how long has tank been running?

OP
OP
K

Kmann321

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could you tell us a little more about your tank other parameters and how long has tank been running?
The tank has been running for a little over a year and a half. What other water parameters should it test for?

Adamantium

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I never had good luck with aussie gold torches. other torches have been thriving for 3 years. been through 2 aussie gold torches and no luck. some corals I have success with others I don't.
Exact same experience. Unfortunately, this seems to be a common thread. Wish I knew why.

Perthegallon

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Okay so I have had the same problem I fixed it by preventing my clownfish from hosting it even if you think there not they are

Perthegallon

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I’m not 100% if that was the fix but moving it and letting it do it’s thing worked for me

MERKEY

Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Just a thought but if ypur pgos was at .02 and then you added new chemi pure blue it could have stripped it down to 0.

What are your other parameters including salinity? Nitrates and phos are no good for corals at 0.

45ZoaGarden

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just a thought but if ypur pgos was at .02 and then you added new chemi pure blue it could have stripped it down to 0.

What are your other parameters including salinity? Nitrates and phos are no good for corals at 0.
+1 the phos is probably super low rn. What are nitrates?

OP
OP
K

Kmann321

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Your right the chemi knocked the pho and nitrate down to 0. My salinity is 1.026. I will remove the chemipure

Saltyreef

I'm not your dad...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Exact same experience. Unfortunately, this seems to be a common thread. Wish I knew why.
From what I understand these aussie golds are collected in shallow brackish water river mouths in australia.
Lots of nutrients suspended in the water and somewhat lower salinity than a typical hobbiests reef.

This is what i heard from a local shop owner at least.
And then he told me the diver who collects these ended up meeting the bad side of a saltwater croc. RIP.

OP
OP
K

Kmann321

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From what I understand these aussie golds are collected in shallow brackish water river mouths in australia.
Lots of nutrients suspended in the water and somewhat lower salinity than a typical hobbiests reef.

This is what i heard from a local shop owner at least.
And then he told me the diver who collects these ended up meeting the bad side of a saltwater croc. RIP.
Holy cow! Ok, I will see if i can maybe slowly raise the nutrients in the tank to a manageable level.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 54 40.0%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 28 20.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 35.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.7%
Back