Torch retracted

Dalontodd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, I’ve had an indo gold torch for a few months now. The day before yesterday, it started retracting out of nowhere. All of my other corals are fine, hammers and all. I’m thinking this may be due to my nitrates? Nitrates are 23.5 PPM, Usually they’re not this high. I started a new coral food and I guess it spiked. The highest it got was 26PPM. I haven’t done a water change, I plan on doing one tomorrow. I’ll provide a picture of the torch in a little when I get home. Thank you for any help or advice.

My parameters are

Alk-9.5
Ca-440
Mag-1360
Phos- .08
Ph- 8.2
Nitrate- 23.5
Ammonia-0

EgotisticObeseChihuahua

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I doubt it's your nitrates because most torches like "Dirty Water". Your parameters look fine. My best guess would be a bacterial infection unless flow or something is bothering it. Either way I would recommend a KFC dips once a day for a short period of time.

OP
OP
D

Dalontodd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I doubt it's your nitrates because most torches like "Dirty Water". Your parameters look fine. My best guess would be a bacterial infection unless flow or something is bothering it. Either way I would recommend a KFC dips once a day for a short period of time.
Update:

When I got home. It is fully closed, don’t have enough salt for a decent water change. Will be picking up some more today after work. I’m attaching a picture of what it looks like currently and what it looked like earlier this week.
I also don’t have the items needed for a KFC atm. Was looking at ordering the kit today for sure.

Could I dip it in lugols solution? 40 drops per gallon of tank water? (I believe that’s what it was)

Attachments

• 3294E910-D065-41E4-A82B-8F5335B76F1E.png
    3294E910-D065-41E4-A82B-8F5335B76F1E.png
    825.4 KB · Views: 61
  • 6EA5788F-3A6D-4CF3-A4BA-6D2ECA9F722E.png
    6EA5788F-3A6D-4CF3-A4BA-6D2ECA9F722E.png
    798.6 KB · Views: 54
OP
OP
D

Dalontodd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update:

When I got home. It is fully closed, don’t have enough salt for a decent water change. Will be picking up some more today after work. I’m attaching a picture of what it looks like currently and what it looked like earlier this week.
I also don’t have the items needed for a KFC atm. Was looking at ordering the kit today for sure.

Could I dip it in lugols solution? 40 drops per gallon of tank water? (I believe that’s what it was)
** 40 drops per gallon of tank water in a bucket**

EgotisticObeseChihuahua

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update:

Iodine would defiantly help, but 40 drops per gallon is a bit much. The recipe calls for 40 drops for 4 gallons of tank water, so I would go for a 2-4 hour dip with it in a gallon of tank water with 10 drops of lugols solution. Do you have any amox or cipro around your house? Is the first picture what it looks like now? and the second what it looked like before?

OP
OP
D

Dalontodd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Iodine would defiantly help, but 40 drops per gallon is a bit much. The recipe calls for 40 drops for 4 gallons of tank water, so I would go for a 2-4 hour dip with it in a gallon of tank water with 10 drops of lugols solution. Do you have any amox or cipro around your house? Is the first picture what it looks like now? and the second what it looked like before?
Yes, first picture was taken this morning. The Second was a week ago.

That’s what it was. I knew the 40 drops & tank water were relevant I haven’t done a dip with lugols in a whole. But I’m assuming since you said bacterial, I’ll go ahead and use my baster to baste the polyps gently too.

Unfortunately no amoxicillin or ciproflaxen
I’ll stop by my LFS to see if they sell it.

EgotisticObeseChihuahua

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, first picture was taken this morning. The Second was a week ago.

That’s what it was. I knew the 40 drops & tank water were relevant I haven’t done a dip with lugols in a whole. But I’m assuming since you said bacterial, I’ll go ahead and use my baster to baste the polyps gently too.

Unfortunately no amoxicillin or ciproflaxen
I’ll stop by my LFS to see if they sell it.
alright, are you seeing any brown jelly like stuff around its skeleton or the flesh? Since the coral is in such a critical state its probability of survival is extremely low, but if you can try to cause as little stress as possible. The last thing this thing needs is more stress, and since you didn't have KFC on hand it probably lowered its chances of survival a bit. You can still save it though just very slim odds. I had a wall hammer that was in critical condition like yours, and it was starting to recover then one day after a couple of weeks of KFC dips it croaked.

OP
OP
D

Dalontodd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
alright, are you seeing any brown jelly like stuff around its skeleton or the flesh? Since the coral is in such a critical state its probability of survival is extremely low, but if you can try to cause as little stress as possible. The last thing this thing needs is more stress, and since you didn't have KFC on hand it probably lowered its chances of survival a bit. You can still save it though just very slim odds. I had a wall hammer that was in critical condition like yours, and it was starting to recover then one day after a couple of weeks of KFC dips it croaked.
Nope, no BJD
I’ve handled that before once and was able to save a frogspawn, luckily. I also had everything on hand and started the process as soon as I noticed it was closing up a little. I was able to prevent it from spreading to everything else. This was maybe a year ago.

Hopefully it’s not too far gone. I’m not gonna give up though! Lol
I’ll dip it in lugols later, recheck all my parameters and do a water change. I’ll keep you updated

Thanks for the help!

EgotisticObeseChihuahua

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nope, no BJD
I’ve handled that before once and was able to save a frogspawn, luckily. I also had everything on hand and started the process as soon as I noticed it was closing up a little. I was able to prevent it from spreading to everything else. This was maybe a year ago.

Hopefully it’s not too far gone. I’m not gonna give up though! Lol
I’ll dip it in lugols later, recheck all my parameters and do a water change. I’ll keep you updated

Thanks for the help!
Alright, good plan!

OP
OP
D

Dalontodd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alright, good plan!
It’s BJD 100%…. Noticed the dark film starting to cover the top. I’m doing all I can. But you’re absolutely right. It’s most likely a goner. If I would’ve had KFC dip on hand like you said my chances would’ve been better.

EgotisticObeseChihuahua

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s BJD 100%…. Noticed the dark film starting to cover the top. I’m doing all I can. But you’re absolutely right. It’s most likely a goner. If I would’ve had KFC dip on hand like you said my chances would’ve been better.
It's alright, just throw it out and get the kfc dip for future problems. Be careful taking the torch out of the water because some of the slime could fall off and spread. Im sorry for your loss.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 37 15.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 135 58.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 16 6.9%
Back