Need help before I take tank down and start over!

Saltgator

Tang Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello to all and thanks for looking. My problem is Nitrates (as the tests read) or something I'm not seeing or aware of. My 125 w/ a 30 sump tested high (around 30) in nitrates, but everything else tested great. I've use rodi water from a lfs (test came back as good water) to do water changes. The only thing I have is cyano and every lps or anemone is receeding (all of these I've had well over a year without issues). My frogspawn have started throwing heads (9 so far) left and right for about a week and I can't stop them, my red lobo went as well, and every xenia has went from a colony to specs on rocks. When I tested thinking it might be PO4, the test stated right above 0. I run Phosguard and a decent no named skimmer right now (more phosguard and a swc 160 will be here in a day or two), carbon was in the sump, but I removed it for fear of possibility of leaching. I started doing MB7 as of saturday, but still no sign of improvement.I only feed every other day and it is either roger's reef food or omega flakes w/ garlic. Nothing is wasted between mm CUC or tangs and gobies. Just purchased Vodka and going to use this as my last effort before I start over.Any help would be great.:squigglemouth:

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
now that you mention the xenia i would suspect your salinty to be out of whack..... what are all your params and salinity????

soccerbag

Chalices did this to me!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In addition to what was asked above, have you ever taken your water to be tested at your LFS? They may have a Hanna meter for PO4 testing - that is a lot more accurate that home test kits. Always a good idea to have your water tested with multiple kits before taking any drastic measures. The MB7 will not hurt anything. However, I would hold off on the vodka until you are positive about your parameters. When I suspect a parameter is out of line, I take water to LFS, friend's house, etc. I get as many readings as possible. And Lee is right above, salinity could be an issue.

I wouldn't throw in the towel yet. While I know it's frustrating right now. Starting over without figuring out the issue, may end with the same results down the road. Hopefully we can help you figure out what is going on here. I feel for you. I know it stinks!

OP
OP
Saltgator

Saltgator

Tang Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Temp 78
Salinity 1.026
Nitrate 30
Nitrate 0
Ammonia 0
PO4 1
Cal and Alk were tested, but not sure what the numbers were but I believe they were alk 10 and calcium at 450

OP
OP
Saltgator

Saltgator

Tang Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The water was tested this weekend by my lfs and then again monday by me. My lfs and my test were the same. The only time i"ve seen xenia do this was with high PO4, but that was another tank and years ago.

thewackyreefer

(formerly luvmyacans)
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
PO4 looks to be high at 1, what did you use to test?

Everything I've read about PO4 suggests keeping it no higher than .03

soccerbag

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Temp 78
Salinity 1.026
Nitrate 30
Nitrate 0
Ammonia 0
PO4 1
Cal and Alk were tested, but not sure what the numbers were but I believe they were alk 10 and calcium at 450

Gotcha - those look good. PO4 a bit high but I've seen a lot worse. Do you have a Mag test kit? And I know this may sound elementary, but I don't mean it that way....when was the last time you calibrated your refractometer? low Mag can definitely cause some LPS issues.

OP
OP
Saltgator

Saltgator

Tang Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No mag test, but use to dose it. My refactometer is a bit old, but was spot on with the lfs readings (which I assumed would make them both wrong or both right). I didn't know that mag would cause lps decline.

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How are you testing your salinity???? My refracto sucks man I have to calibrate it daily... Fwiw I have been working with the op behind the scenes if my questions seem vague trying to figure this out myself.... I know Xenia will wilt if salinity is off I would double check that first..... They love no3 fwiw so they should be flourishing.... People put Xenia in there sumps to help reduce no3 lol

OP
OP
Saltgator

Saltgator

Tang Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Never knew that about xenia (always used them as a visual indicator of my water). My refactometer is called "portable refractometer" from DFS.

OP
OP
Saltgator

Saltgator

Tang Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also, would salinity be causing my "pop" heads off of frogspawn and lobo?

swannyson7

Moderator/Acro Aficianado
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you recently started dosing anything or switched salts? Any changes whatsoever to your daily regimen? Also, have you tested for stray current within the tank? I had stray voltage from a powerhead a couple years ago and all of my LPS looked ticked off and my xenia withered up.

OP
OP
Saltgator

Saltgator

Tang Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a grounding probe in the sump for about a year, no changes other than stopping mysis to roger's reef food. Same salt brand also

soccerbag

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No mag test, but use to dose it. My refractometer is a bit old, but was spot on with the lfs readings (which I assumed would make them both wrong or both right). I didn't know that mag would cause lps decline.

I would assume that the LFS would keep theirs calibrated so I'm guessing they are both right in this instance. I will say that low Mag can have a very negative effect on LPS. Not to mention that your Mag is not stable, it can cause your alk and Ca to vary. Not saying that's definitely the issue here by any means, but it is something you may want to check. If only Mag test kits weren't so darn expensive!

soccerbag

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure. I've never kept Xenia so don't have any direct experience. I would assume that it could. I know that low Mag "can" cause recession in chalices, blastos, lobos, etc. Just not sure about Xenia. Perhaps someone else with better experience with it can chime in.

OP
OP
Saltgator

Saltgator

Tang Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dosing mag as we speak and looking into better methods just in case.

soccerbag

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dosing mag as we speak and looking into better methods just in case.

Dosing certainly won't hurt anything, that's for sure. Especially if it's been a while since you've dosed. You may want to see if your LFS can test your Mag just to see where it is. MUCH cheaper than buying a kit. Just a thought. I'm guessing there is something else going on though.

OP
OP
Saltgator

Saltgator

Tang Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update: Frogspawn and hammer both still receding (or losing heads). Duncan and xenia appear ok, but not extending, rbta and clams appear to be ok and looking ok. Only dosed mag, cal, and a new dose of carbon last night. No uneaten food anywhere, did remove a frag of yellow devil's hand coral that had fell behind a rock and appeared to be dying. What now, Nitrates have come down to 20 (still trying to drop them lower), nothing else seems to be an issue. Any thoughts on why lps are dying, but clams and rbta still ok???

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 65 43.9%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 70 47.3%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 13 8.8%
Back