Need help before I take tank down and start over!

swannyson7

Moderator/Acro Aficianado
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do they appear to have a brown jelly-like substance on the heads? If they're infected with brown jelly disease, you'll need to frag off the infected heads to prevent it from spreading to the other branches. That still doesn't explain the other problems you've had, but if you've curbed the issue (assuming it had to to do with your Mg levels) and you're still losing your euphyllia, this could be the problem.

OP
OP
Saltgator

Saltgator

Tang Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not seeing any brown jelly on any of the heads. All I have seen has been what appears to be waste being expelled ( like a nem would do).

_Alex_

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The dead leather could have very easily put out toxin in the water. Depending on how big it is very well could cause problem. I would do a water change and run carbon. Change the carbon every few days.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Saltgator

Saltgator

Tang Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was thinking that the leather may have something to do with it too. Not sure yet, but removed the leather and placed 2 of 3 stalks of frog spawn into separate tank that has Xenia and softies doing good. Just still not sure why acans and clams are doing good when frog spawn and hammer are dying.:neutral:

Murfman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Xenia are probably the most sensitive of all the corals. Additive mfgrs use Xenia when testing their products because of the sensitivity. Devils hand are one of the most toxic of all corals. You did well by removing it.

How old is your rock? Nitrates and phosphates can be locked in the rock and leech out, if it is real old.

subielover

Renegade reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know it has been mentioned a lot, but it would be great if you could get your Magnesium checked...

beaslbob

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Temp 78
Salinity 1.026
Nitrate 30
Nitrate 0
Ammonia 0
PO4 1
Cal and Alk were tested, but not sure what the numbers were but I believe they were alk 10 and calcium at 450

FWIW macro algae, algae will consume both nitrates and PO4 in about that ratio so both will be eventually unmeasureable.

my .02

OP
OP
Saltgator

Saltgator

Tang Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Rock is about 6-8 months old. Marco rock seeded by me with the 50 lbs of live rock I previously had/ was using. Been doing mag, and waiting on a test kit.

bige

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This same thing happened to me. Xenia got very small and dead looking. As did a lot of things. Long story short. Tested mag and it was at 900. So have been dosing for about 2 months (slowly) and now its at 1100. Things have all perked up. Still have a little ways to go.

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
do you have any coraline algae in the tank???? if so how has it been?? bleaching or spreading etc....that would be a good start if it was a mag problem from my exp.... also have you changed your bulbs recently or anything??

OP
OP
Saltgator

Saltgator

Tang Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bulbs are 6 months old, coraline is on walls and rocks and spreading.

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
to me it sounds your mag is good then..... i have always used coraline growth as a indicator for mag ime. hmmmm fwiw no3 @ 20 is not bad i know plenty of tanks that run 20 to 30 ppm and there is nothing they can do to keep them lower permanently... the tank balances out and the no3 sits at 20 to 30ppm and they look great..... your phosphates are prolly really high also man no3 and p04 go hand in hand.... if you had any acros this would be a easy indicator as they would brown out and slow growth from the abundance of nutrients....

OP
OP
Saltgator

Saltgator

Tang Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks troylee, I run gfo and change it every month. Once I get home from work, we'll see how the frog spawn and Duncan are doing in the other system where things appear ok. As of now, I'm leaning on an infection that my lps picked up. Not sure of this plus no signs, just heads popping off and can't see how the Xenia might have caught this. I'm pretty sure It's not bjd and all the tangs haven't picked at them, just rock work.

Captain Nemo

Look Ma, it's Nemo!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Out of curiosity, have you added anything new to the tank in the last month or so???

OP
OP
Saltgator

Saltgator

Tang Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I tried a small piece of Pocillopora from my lfs about 3 weeks ago.

OP
OP
Saltgator

Saltgator

Tang Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
nnot sure if this matters, but it was cut then bagged. thought I'd try sps

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
seems about right if your no3 and po4 are elevated..... keep those down and sps are Simple Polyp-ed Sticks haha..... get your new skimmer going and go the vodka/mb7 right your tank will come around nicely....;)

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 63 43.8%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 69 47.9%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 12 8.3%
Back