Need help choosing equipment for nano build

marmar

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys! I'm starting a new nano build with a five gallon fluval. I mainly want to do a softie only tank, but theres a chance I might a few lps. I took out the sponge in the back chamber and have bio media in the back as well as a plan fuge in the back as well. The main thing I need help on is the light and the wave maker.

For the wave maker I need something small and compact since the tank is pretty tiny. I was thinking either a jebao slw or a hygger mini. I have a hygger mini on another tank and I like it, but also thinking of dipping my toes in something new. If anyone has any good

The light is where I need the most help on deciding. I don't really know what light would fit on the tank. First, If possible I would like to keep the lid on the tank. Second, I don't have much space above the tank, so lights with a long neck wont fit. I have around 6 inches of free space above the tank. I also want something on the more affordable side since I don't think I need splurge on a light for the corals I'm thinking of putting in the tank.

OP
OP
M

marmar

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe a Nicrew 30watt

NICREW 30W Reef LED Aquarium Light, Dimmable Marine LED Light with Dual Channel Wired Controller, Nano Fish Tank Light for Saltwater Coral Fish Tanks https://a.co/d/fVVy2N7
I think that lights is a little too tall and won’t fit the space i have it in. The neck seems adjustable to an extent but if I bend it too close to the tank I dont think the light will spread to the other parts of the tank.

OP
OP
M

marmar

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would the return not be enough for softies and LPS in a 5g?
The return pump is a little weak, but I think with a wave maker the flow will be enough for the tank. The stock return pump is around 80 gph, and there’s the mini jet 606 that does 159 gph. They don’t make them anymore though.

Reef.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The return pump is a little weak, but I think with a wave maker the flow will be enough for the tank. The stock return pump is around 80 gph, and there’s the mini jet 606 that does 159 gph. They don’t make them anymore though.
Just buy a new return then, Sicce do a nano around 113gph, I’m just thinking it’ll give you more space in the tank.

TangerineSpeedo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For your wavemaker this: https://a.co/ahupbvo It is a bit complicated to program at first. Low profile I have one in my 6 gal cube.
For a light with such limited space I would go with the Fluval marine 3.0. It is a nice light has the height restriction you need. I use that on the 6g also I grow coraline and have a number of aggregate anemones in that tank. should be fine for softies and low light LPS.

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 5 5.7%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 35 39.8%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 28 31.8%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 19 21.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.1%
Back