Need help deciding on whether or not a fish is right for your tank? Post here and we'll help!

Slocke

Wrasse and Eel Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Need advice for last fish (maybe two). Tank is an IM 25g lagoon. Have 20+ pound of live rock in it. I am looking for that last 1 or 2 fish that actually swim around but not sure what would be comparable. The two current tank inhabitants get a long never seen any fighting.
Bicolor Blenny
Azure Damsel

Was thinking a possum wrasse but was reading they are a little shy and would like something that swims around more. I have tried firefish but for some reason I don’t have luck with them at all. And I don’t want clowns. Possible fish are:

Possum wrasse
Royal Gramma
What else?
Firefish are incredibly shy and don’t like blennies. Possum wrasse could work well. They are not too shy. You could also look at the pink streak wrasse and if you have a good pod and/or amphipods and other critters you could try a leopard wrasse or even a small Halichoeres like a yellow, or radiant. Also you could look at other species of basslet like a chalk bass.

mycoralswontgrow

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Flasher wrasse often don’t do well long term with tangs. Also flashers do better if you have different species as all wrasse eventually become male. And two males of the same species will fight. This is not an issue though if they are two different species of flasher.

I’m not sure the size of your tank so I can only guess what will and won’t work. There are essentially two types of eels. Fish eaters and invert eaters. If you have both you’ll have to get something else. I suggest an engineer goby.
Other suggestions are a basslet like a royal gramma. A fairy wrasse, leopard wrasse, or a second Halichoeres wrasse like a yellow or radiant.
Appreciate the input.

So instead of the 2 flashers would replacing that with a radiant, and then adding a basslet and leopard potentially work. Also considered a fox face.

Eels are out due to inverts, and I was persuaded away from engineering gobies (despite liking them) due to having corals on substrate.

Tanks a 120

DDenny

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Firefish are incredibly shy and don’t like blennies. Possum wrasse could work well. They are not too shy. You could also look at the pink streak wrasse and if you have a good pod and/or amphipods and other critters you could try a leopard wrasse or even a small Halichoeres like a yellow, or radiant. Also you could look at other species of basslet like a chalk bass.
thanks

jameson0712

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys, want to know if a firegoby and yasha goby would get along in a 10g? There's one main cave in the tank where the firegoby currently sleeps. I plan on getting a yasha in a month or two with a pistol shrimp. thoughts?

Mizu

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys, want to know if a firegoby and yasha goby would get along in a 10g? There's one main cave in the tank where the firegoby currently sleeps. I plan on getting a yasha in a month or two with a pistol shrimp. thoughts?
Yeah you can add them together, they are both very peaceful, there shouldn't be any problems. I think my firefish actually hides in my yasha goby's hole lol

Mizu

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Everyone,

My 32 gallon tank currently has:

2x (pair) Black storm clownfish
1x Helfrichi firefish
1x Yasha Shrimp goby
1x Citrinis Clown goby

1x Cleaner shrimp
1x Red Banded pistol shrimp (this guy is under 1/2" and I have not seen him since adding haha)

My tank is currently incredibly peaceful, my fish really love and get along with one another. I noticed I accidently chose fish that occupy different parts of the tank and I really want something that swims in the middle and is more outgoing, here's what I cam up with:

1x Yellow banded Possum wrasse
1x Randall's Assessor Basslet (Assessor Randalli)

1x Fire shrimp

Thoughts?

aztoza

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys!
What fishes would you suggest to add color and movement to a nano tank, and also would swim in the middle or top of the tank? I have a sandsifting goby so I don't want another that hangs out on the sandbed. Want to steer clear of clowns and keep a peaceful tank. Thanks!

aztoza

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Need advice for last fish (maybe two). Tank is an IM 25g lagoon. Have 20+ pound of live rock in it. I am looking for that last 1 or 2 fish that actually swim around but not sure what would be comparable. The two current tank inhabitants get a long never seen any fighting.
Bicolor Blenny
Azure Damsel

Was thinking a possum wrasse but was reading they are a little shy and would like something that swims around more. I have tried firefish but for some reason I don’t have luck with them at all. And I don’t want clowns. Possible fish are:

Possum wrasse
Royal Gramma
What else?
Do you have some strong contenders? What have you decided on?

DDenny

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have some strong contenders? What have you decided on?
Leaning toward
Wetmorella tanakai
or
Wetmorella nigropinnata

Dr. Reef's has Wetmorella nigropinnata in stock but the better half likes the Tanakai better so looking and waiting around for one of those.

WIll probably get tired of waiting and get a royal gramma hahahahaha

Last edited:

aztoza

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
H
Leaning toward
Wetmorella tanakai
or
Wetmorella nigropinnata

Dr. Reef's has Wetmorella nigropinnata in stock but the better half likes the Tanakai better so looking and waiting around for one of those.

WIll probably get tired of waiting and get a royal gramma hahahahah
Haha! Cool thanks

jlfrey06

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I currently have a 37 gallon reef tank with some smaller fish and just snagged my second tank (75 gallon) and need some advice with stocking some "larger" fish in this new tank. My daughter really wants a puffer so the tank is going to be built around that and will be FOWLR. I also already have a spotted mandarin that I've had in my other tank for a while and will go in soon (she eats frozen and I have a hob refugium and culture my own pods as well). Here is the list I have but any/all suggestions welcome...don't want to overstock or have any compatibility issues:

1. Spotted Mandarin
2. Blue Spotted Puffer
3. One Spot Foxface
4. Clown Fairy Wrasse
5. Starry Blenny (once algae appears)
6. Pair of clowns
7. Flame angel or bristle tooth tang (not sure)

heliodorh

Down in Frag-gle Rock
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hiya, it's very early days for me yet but I wanted to get an idea of what size tank is best for a pair of clowns. I'm interested in doing a pair of Wyoming Whites and my knowledge ends there atm. is there a min recommended size for 1 clown pair + ideal habitat organisms? are there any additional fish/inverts that are rec'd to be in a clown-focused tank? thanks for any and all advice (yes I know nothing :p)

Slocke

Wrasse and Eel Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Everyone,

1x Helfrichi firefish
1x Yasha Shrimp goby
1x Citrinis Clown goby

1x Cleaner shrimp
1x Red Banded pistol shrimp (this guy is under 1/2" and I have not seen him since adding haha)

My tank is currently incredibly peaceful, my fish really love and get along with one another. I noticed I accidently chose fish that occupy different parts of the tank and I really want something that swims in the middle and is more outgoing, here's what I cam up with:

1x Fire shrimp

Thoughts?
Those are all great choices. Should do what you want and should be peaceful. Though fire shrimp are very similar to skunk cleaner shrimp but more shy.

Slocke

Wrasse and Eel Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys!
What fishes would you suggest to add color and movement to a nano tank, and also would swim in the middle or top of the tank? I have a sandsifting goby so I don't want another that hangs out on the sandbed. Want to steer clear of clowns and keep a peaceful tank. Thanks!
Firefish. Can’t get prettier and are a water column fish that are extremely peaceful unless you get multiple males. (Just get one)

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hiya, it's very early days for me yet but I wanted to get an idea of what size tank is best for a pair of clowns. I'm interested in doing a pair of Wyoming Whites and my knowledge ends there atm. is there a min recommended size for 1 clown pair + ideal habitat organisms? are there any additional fish/inverts that are rec'd to be in a clown-focused tank? thanks for any and all advice (yes I know nothing :p)
Generally speaking as long as the tank is 20 gallons or more, it should be good for a pair of clownfish (some people keep them in smaller tanks, but it's not generally recommended). Most people like to keep their clownfish with a Bubble-tip Anemone (Entacmaea quadricolor) that can host the fish.

Most people would probably suggest a bigger tank for more water quality stability (and to enable you to keep more/a wider variety of fish in the future), but it's not necessary.

Slocke

Wrasse and Eel Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I currently have a 37 gallon reef tank with some smaller fish and just snagged my second tank (75 gallon) and need some advice with stocking some "larger" fish in this new tank. My daughter really wants a puffer so the tank is going to be built around that and will be FOWLR. I also already have a spotted mandarin that I've had in my other tank for a while and will go in soon (she eats frozen and I have a hob refugium and culture my own pods as well). Here is the list I have but any/all suggestions welcome...don't want to overstock or have any compatibility issues:

1. Spotted Mandarin
I suggest either waiting a couple years for a good pod population or going captive bred
2. Blue Spotted Puffer
Be wary of fin nipping but otherwise should work
3. One Spot Foxface
Great
4. Clown Fairy Wrasse
Lubbocks?
5. Starry Blenny (once algae appears)
Great
6. Pair of clowns
Good
7. Flame angel or bristle tooth tang (not sure)
I suggest flame. Less aggressive and better for a 75

NanoNana

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Everyone,

1x Helfrichi firefish
1x Yasha Shrimp goby
1x Citrinis Clown goby

1x Cleaner shrimp

1x Fire shrimp

Thoughts?
Fire shrimp is going to stay hidden in the rocks and mostly come out when you feed. Mine killed every other shrimp in my tank when I brought it in.
Possum wrasse is a great choice for visibility in your column. Assessors may stay out of view more than you want. My rainfordi gobies stay in my column now most of the day picking algae off of rocks. They do spend time sifting sand as well so they are fun to watch because they are everywhere in the tank being incredibly useful.

Slocke

Wrasse and Eel Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fire shrimp is going to stay hidden in the rocks and mostly come out when you feed. Mine killed every other shrimp in my tank when I brought it in.
Possum wrasse is a great choice for visibility in your column. Assessors may stay out of view more than you want. My rainfordi gobies stay in my column now most of the day picking algae off of rocks. They do spend time sifting sand as well so they are fun to watch because they are everywhere in the tank being incredibly useful.
You can keep several species of cleaner shrimp. They are not aggressive to each other. Some people even keep shrimp tanks.

Last edited:

HOW DO YOU DEAL WITH BULLIES IN YOUR TANK?

• I place the offender in an acclimation box for a period of time (jail).

Votes: 10 17.5%
  • I remove the offender entirely and reintroduce them at a later time (rehab).

Votes: 2 3.5%
  • I use the mirror method (a little reverse psychology).

Votes: 4 7.0%
  • I rearrange rock work (throw them off).

Votes: 4 7.0%
  • I don't tolerate bullies. Bye bye fishy!

Votes: 13 22.8%
  • I've never dealt with a tank bully.

Votes: 17 29.8%
  • Other (please explain!)

Votes: 7 12.3%
Back