Need help deciding on whether or not a fish is right for your tank? Post here and we'll help!

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the reply. I was thinking I could keep up with feeding pods but it sounds like it would be difficult. Was thinking of adding fire fish but really I just want one more active fish in the tank that will be fun to watch. I built this tank for my daughter and she has taken a huge interest in the tank and helping me to the best of her ability (she's 5) take care of it. So the more personality the better for this last fish.
Here are some big personality fish appropriate for your tank: flame or longnose hawk, starry or orange spot blenny, or tiger or pearly jawfish.

jp_75

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would choose a bit bolder fish for last fish to be added, like a blenny maybe,.....firefish and hector goby are timid fishes,imo

I actually had Starry Blenny with Dartfish.It didn't work out... Had to sell it. Are there any Blennys who are 100% peaceful? Thx

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I actually had Starry Blenny with Dartfish.It didn't work out... Had to sell it. Are there any Blennys who are 100% peaceful? Thx
Barnacle blennies and blennies in the genus Meiecanthus. Smaller Ecsenius species are also more peaceful than starry blennies, such as stigmatura, pictus, and lineatus.

Seth Goldberg

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here are some big personality fish appropriate for your tank: flame or longnose hawk, starry or orange spot blenny, or tiger or pearly jawfish.

Out of what you have listed my LFS has or had a longnose hawk in stock that was absolutely beautiful. I'm going to try and see if they still have him. I think my daughter would absolutely love to have one in the tank

Maritimer

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My starry leaves my firefish and zebra dart (and everybody else!) alone, but that may be due to the fact that my kole tang picks on the blenny. I've got an orange-spot blenny in QT, and that is a fish with a ton of personality - cute to the point of being silly!

Longnose hawks certainly qualify as well, and are one of the few creatures - other than humans - which wear plaid.

~Bruce

Maritimer

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's the plan - along with a midas who's with the starry in a 65 DT - but the new tank is a 220, so hopefully they should be able to stay out of each others' way.

~Bruce

Vahanyos

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone have experience putting a yellow Coris wrasse with their melanurus? My melanurus is established already about 3 months but I reallllllly wanna get another wrasse! I love wrasses!! It's a 55g. See pic

f2ea8cfd6513ab532623deb3a4ab158e.jpg

Jmas4

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone have experience putting a yellow Coris wrasse with their melanurus? My melanurus is established already about 3 months but I reallllllly wanna get another wrasse! I love wrasses!! It's a 55g. See pic

I think it will be fine as long as the melanurus isn't too big.

Vahanyos

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think it will be fine as long as the melanurus isn't too big.

It's about 2.5 inches, I always see it trying to fight his reflection so I'm hesitant about it. Perhaps they don't like their own kind only? Lol

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

It should bboxine. Try utilizing a social acclimation box.

Seth Goldberg

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So after talking with the owner of my LFS for a while I decided to go with a flame hawkfish which seems to have quite the personality and seems to like his new home. Thanks for the help guys

Mariners

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Neither are ideal choices. The pygmy angel can be hit-or-miss as far as nipping corals, and if they do nip zoas are a high risk.

Sixlines get aggressive and have been known to badly bully firefish.

Other suggestions would include a yellow assessor, swales basslet, pink streak wrasse orpossum wrasse.
Thx for the input, i definitely stay away from the six-line, and reconsider the pygmy. Yeah pymgy i made sure he was well fed w cyclopeze so he laid off the zoas. What ther fish would you recommend w the clown and 2 firefish?

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thx for the input, i definitely stay away from the six-line, and reconsider the pygmy. Yeah pymgy i made sure he was well fed w cyclopeze so he laid off the zoas. What ther fish would you recommend w the clown and 2 firefish?
Other fish that might work would include: yellow assessor, swales basslet, geometric pygmy hawkfish, watchman goby w/pistol shrimp, neon goby, curious wormfish.

Seth Goldberg

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I think my new flame hawkfish ate half of my skunk shrimp ☹️ I'm wondering if I should avoid shrimp all together now or if maybe putting one that gets larger like a coral banded shrimp might be ok?

Seth Goldberg

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My reef is stocked with
2 pjm cardinals
1 royal grandma
2 clown fish
1 flame hawkfish
1 malanoris wrasse

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I think my new flame hawkfish ate half of my skunk shrimp ☹️ I'm wondering if I should avoid shrimp all together now or if maybe putting one that gets larger like a coral banded shrimp might be ok?
I keep larger specimens of skunkor blood shrimp with flame hawks without issue. Larger species should also be fine.

Bluecbs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Higher chance of the shrimp seen as food by the hawks if added after the hawks, imo...

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 13 7.7%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 31 18.3%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 112 66.3%
  • Neither.

Votes: 7 4.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.6%
Back