Need help deciding on whether or not a fish is right for your tank? Post here and we'll help!

Adam113

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
32g biocube

The way my rock is set up I've really only got one cave. Currently have 2 Picasso Clownfish and a Purple Firefish.

I'm wanting to add my last fish now and be done. Will a Royal Gramma fight the firefish for the one cave? If there's a chance of it fighting I don't want to get it as I really like the personalities of my 3 existing fish.

I just added my last fish in my 29g cube. I have almost the same set up. 2 clowns, a firefish, and added a diamond Goby. Man, this fish quickly took first place in my enjoyment of watching. He's awesome. Everyone seems to get along with him too. They check out what he's doing a lot when he starts sifting sand. He made a little home underneath the frontmost rock in my tank. Awesome addition to my tank IMO. Plus my sand bed is perpetually cleaned. Never seen it so white without me manually hitting it with a turkey baster.
IMG_1431.JPG

GatorScott

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've never had a problem mixing a royal gramma witj a firefish. The gramma will want the cave, but there should be plenty of other options for the firefish.

That sucks. I hate to mess up the mojo of my tank. All my fish finally swims all over the tank even the Clowns lol. They were just staying in the corner and the firefish was barely coming out of the cave but now they are all out all over the place. So I'm just weary of adding something to mess that up lol.

GHsaltie

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would like to add a starcki damsel as my final fish but I wanted to get second opinion as to whether it would be a good choice. I have a 40b, current stock below.

Black combtooth blenny
2 ocellaris clowns
Greenbanded goby (in QT)
Yellow assessor (picking up this week to go into QT)
What do you think?

Last question if I may, what about an orchid dottyback with the yellow assessor? Would they get along or are they too similar?

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Last question if I may, what about an orchid dottyback with the yellow assessor? Would they get along or are they too similar?
Even though orchid dottybacks are a peaceful dottyback, they still defend a territory. In a tank as small as a 40, it may not work. In a larger tank it would be more likely to work out, especially if the assessor is in first.

It may or may not work, but I wouldn't mix the 2 in that size tank.

FishGuyBri

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alright, so I'm not doing well with polyps or corals, but my fish seem happy. Tank is 5 months old. I have 2 chromis and 2 clowns in my 90 gallon and I am planning to move forward. I do want corals and will retry again, but not for now. I'm going to let the tank mature and take it's time for the moment. So, i want to have about 2 medium to largish fish. I'm thinking a blue tang and maybe one other fish. Should I get the tang now? by itself? or should i get one other similar size fish to add with it (i'm getting them at a small size).
what are your thoughts?

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alright, so I'm not doing well with polyps or corals, but my fish seem happy. Tank is 5 months old. I have 2 chromis and 2 clowns in my 90 gallon and I am planning to move forward. I do want corals and will retry again, but not for now. I'm going to let the tank mature and take it's time for the moment. So, i want to have about 2 medium to largish fish. I'm thinking a blue tang and maybe one other fish. Should I get the tang now? by itself? or should i get one other similar size fish to add with it (i'm getting them at a small size).
what are your thoughts?
Although it will eventually ootgrow a 90g you could get a blue tang now, by itself, or with another fish.

Bluecbs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1 on azure damsel being less agressive,.....and lookwise, azure damsel is just starcki upside down, or vice versa;)

Giroux471

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a red sea reefer 350 so 93 gal total 75 tank and 18 sump it will be a reef tank sps lps here the list of the fish i would like to get are they compatible and not overstocking my tank
3 lyretail anthias already group 1 male 2 female
2 clownfish
1 firefish or more ??
1 flame angel or coral beauty
1 tang i dont know which one
Maybe a goby and a wrasse
Cleaner shrimps

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a red sea reefer 350 so 93 gal total 75 tank and 18 sump it will be a reef tank sps lps here the list of the fish i would like to get are they compatible and not overstocking my tank
3 lyretail anthias already group 1 male 2 female
2 clownfish
1 firefish or more ??
1 flame angel or coral beauty
1 tang i dont know which one
Maybe a goby and a wrasse
Cleaner shrimps
Unless you can find a bonded pr, only get 1 firefish, they are intolerant of others.

Flame or coral beauty angels can be hit-and-miss with corals.

The only tang species I would recommend for that size tank are kole, tomini, or white-tail bristletooth.

FishGuyBri

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Although it will eventually ootgrow a 90g you could get a blue tang now, by itself, or with another fish.

What else would you recommend? I want a showy fish, not too aggressive, but will stay in my tank. Large as possible but maybe won't outgrow 6" max?

Zack K

The Butterfly Guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What else would you recommend? I want a showy fish, not too aggressive, but will stay in my tank. Large as possible but maybe won't outgrow 6" max?

I would say a Longnose or Copper band Butterfly. Maybe a Wrasse or two.

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A Genicanthus angel can be showy.
I would say a Longnose or Copper band Butterfly. Maybe a Wrasse or two.
These are good options too.

Calla

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a fuzzy dwarf lionfish in my 29g quarantine right now but would like to put him into my larger 125g QT with a mag foxface, a Fiji foxface, a Naso tang and my spiny box puffer (burrfish). Will it work? I've heard just to be careful of the puffer and watch for nipping. Advice?

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a fuzzy dwarf lionfish in my 29g quarantine right now but would like to put him into my larger 125g QT with a mag foxface, a Fiji foxface, a Naso tang and my spiny box puffer (burrfish). Will it work? I've heard just to be careful of the puffer and watch for nipping. Advice?
I would be concerned about nipping from the burrfish.

Calla

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would be concerned about nipping from the burrfish.
Should I keep the lion in the 29g then until the fish in 125g move into the DT?

Eventually the goal is that all these fish will cohabitate the 210g DT.

Raven8

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank: 32g Biocube

Currently have:
1 Yellow Watchman goby
2 Ocellaris Clowns
1 Scarlet Skunk

Considering adding:
Neon cleaner goby
Canary Blenny
Royal Gramma

These are the three "currently considering" fish that I have. My current fish are actually in a Fluval Evo 13.5g, but I will be getting/setting up a 32g Biocube within a month. I am also looking for any other fish/invert/etc. ideas that go with what I currently have. Note that I also intend to get a bubble tip anemone eventually, as well as a tiger pistol once the skunk passes away in a year or two.

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Should I keep the lion in the 29g then until the fish in 125g move into the DT?

Eventually the goal is that all these fish will cohabitate the 210g DT.
I would always be concerned about adding a lion to a puffer, but if you can wait to mix them until they are ready to be added to the 210, that would be preferable. Particularly if you can get the lion in first.
Tank: 32g Biocube

Currently have:
1 Yellow Watchman goby
2 Ocellaris Clowns
1 Scarlet Skunk

Considering adding:
Neon cleaner goby
Canary Blenny
Royal Gramma

These are the three "currently considering" fish that I have. My current fish are actually in a Fluval Evo 13.5g, but I will be getting/setting up a 32g Biocube within a month. I am also looking for any other fish/invert/etc. ideas that go with what I currently have. Note that I also intend to get a bubble tip anemone eventually, as well as a tiger pistol once the skunk passes away in a year or two.
Any of the fish you are considering will work.

Bluecbs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Other fish ideas, tailspot blenny, yellow clown goby, possum wrasse.
Inverts, nassarius snails, algae eating snails(so many types), ...n maybe a nice looking feather dusters

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 41.7%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 25 19.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 45 35.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.1%
Back