Need help diagnosing issues with reef tank

syte

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been having issues with easier corals not doing as well. My zoas open, but it seems like over time they've been shrinking to nothing.
I also have GSP that isn't as open as it is in my other tank.

The following are my parameters. I have a little bit of GHA algae in my tank as can be seen from my tank. It's not out of control or anything, but my nutrients show up as 0. I know that sometimes algae can sometimes give you the false impression of 0 nitrates and 0 phosphates. But I'm trying to figure out if that's really the case here. I imagine that ULNS systems can grow a small amount of macroalgae. Maybe it's the same with my tank. My tank is 1yr and 7 months old and it has 0 coraline algae. A very strange predicament. I've never not have been able to grow coraline.

Also, my lights are ati powermodules. The bulbs and blue LEDs are running at 100 percent. I figured the issue maybe too much lighting. But the fixture is quite high up, so not sure if that would really be the case.

Lastly, I have some gray looking algae. I have no idea what this is. I don't think it's detritus but wanted folks opinions. You can see it clearly in the picture where the lights are not on

Here are some pictures:

parameters:
Phosphate: 0.00
ph: 8.0
Nitrate: 0
Salinity: 1.025
Alk: 7.9 DKH
Calcium: 450 ppm

I do 20% water changes once every two weeks. Even if I had elevated nutrients, I'd expect the zoas and GSP to still be thriving. Also the fact that this tank doesn't have coraline is a bit surprising. My dkH isn't really low either.

All frags are from a different take that gets absolutely no water changes. It has 0 algae, but it's fairly mature.

OP
OP
S

syte

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank could be too clean. try getting Nitrate and Phosphate up see what happens
Interesting, would that be the case even though I have some amount of GHA and whatever that gray stuff is? Thank you by the way :)

Upvote 0

tmccaff

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
oops didnt see you had GHA lol it could. Your Nitrate or phosphate cant be zero if you're getting algae.

Upvote 0

Sean Clark

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
parameters:

I do 20% water changes once every two weeks. Even if I had elevated nutrients, I'd expect the zoas and GSP to still be thriving. Also the fact that this tank doesn't have coraline is a bit surprising.
I feel like you answered your own question here.

Upvote 0

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is only one pic attached of zoa's reaching for light. No Coraline growing.
Don't know what kind of light you have, but right now I'm thinking lights are not strong enough.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Sean Clark

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Screenshot_20221223-200944_Brave.jpg

Upvote 0
OP
OP
S

syte

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@LordofCinder @Sean Clark I can lower the lights. The color on the zoas is still pretty vibrant. I'd expect them to lose a bit of the color. I put them pretty high up originally because I was afraid of the lights being too potent.

@tmccaff @Sean Clark , maybe despite the fact that i have a bit of algae, there could be enough of a low nutrient issue that I'm having problems with typically easy corals :(?

Upvote 0

Sean Clark

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The corals will tell you when they are happy with the light. They will loose color at 0 no3 and 0 po4 for sure.

Upvote 0

zdrc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think your nitrate and phosphate are too low. I suggest dosing them directly for most control. Just get them up little bit until they are detectable. Your video definitely gave me the impression that your tank is starving. I didn't see much GHA.

I'd lower the light by 50% too.

Upvote 0

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I've been having issues with easier corals not doing as well. My zoas open, but it seems like over time they've been shrinking to nothing.
I also have GSP that isn't as open as it is in my other tank.

The following are my parameters. I have a little bit of GHA algae in my tank as can be seen from my tank. It's not out of control or anything, but my nutrients show up as 0. I know that sometimes algae can sometimes give you the false impression of 0 nitrates and 0 phosphates. But I'm trying to figure out if that's really the case here. I imagine that ULNS systems can grow a small amount of macroalgae. Maybe it's the same with my tank. My tank is 1yr and 7 months old and it has 0 coraline algae. A very strange predicament. I've never not have been able to grow coraline.

Also, my lights are ati powermodules. The bulbs and blue LEDs are running at 100 percent. I figured the issue maybe too much lighting. But the fixture is quite high up, so not sure if that would really be the case.

Lastly, I have some gray looking algae. I have no idea what this is. I don't think it's detritus but wanted folks opinions. You can see it clearly in the picture where the lights are not on

Here are some pictures:

parameters:

I do 20% water changes once every two weeks. Even if I had elevated nutrients, I'd expect the zoas and GSP to still be thriving. Also the fact that this tank doesn't have coraline is a bit surprising. My dkH isn't really low either.

All frags are from a different take that gets absolutely no water changes. It has 0 algae, but it's fairly mature.

Get these corals off the sandbed which they are easily irritated when sand gets on them.
Assure your test readings are accurate with good quality kits- not API
The grey film may be mulm or chtysophytes but pic too dark to tell. Assure you are providing moderate light and water flow
Your readings mainly phosphate suggests tank not quite stable and feeding alone will increase your phos levels.

Upvote 0

sixty_reefer

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
10 pellets every other day may not be enough nutrition in the water column for your coral. If adding more fish is not in your plans look at artificial nutrients to complete the lack of available nutrients.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
S

syte

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@LordofCinder could you explain the dish shape a bit more. Is that a common indication that there isn't enough lighting?

@vetteguy53081 thanks for the response. My tank is actually being hammered by flow. It's probably over 100x flow. Everything stays in suspension.

As for corals being on sand bed, I can definitely move them, but haven't see a build up of sand on the frags themselves.

All my test kits are pretty accurate from what I can tell. I have reference solutions for some of the kits, but here are the kids I use

Magnesium, Calcium - Aquaforest
PH - Salifert
Nitrate, Phosphate, ALK - Hanna
Salinity - Hanna checker double checked with refractometer.

As for whether it's mulm or chrysophytes, I can try to upload some better photos. I've never seen it in the hobby up until this point.

I will be getting my hands on a PAR meter to confirm.

So far I'm thinking I can try dropping the lights and feed a bit more. Sadly I'm afraid of GHA and whatever that gray algae is will rapidly increase. Another thing I had forgotten to mention is that I have a ton of feather dusters. I feel like if my tank was a starved, I would've seen less of it. My hermit crab came with a shell that was fully covered in coraline, and now pieces of it have died and been replaced by GHA.

Filtration right now is a simple surface skimmer with 15ml of carbon changes biweekly. There is also some filter floss that I change as needed.

@sixty_reefer the tank is only 8 gallons. It looks a lot better.

Upvote 0

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 17 15.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 6 5.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 18 16.2%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 62 55.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 7.2%
Back