Need help getting rid of orange cap

  • Thread starter Thread starter Biglurr54
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

Biglurr54

Well-Known Member
View Badges
Joined
May 28, 2017
Messages
986
Reaction score
432
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I made the rookie mistake of putting orange cap up high in prime realestate. It has taken over a large area of the tank. Along with countless other areas from frags from the mother colonie.

How can I get it off the rock. It had encrusted all over the rock and the rock can not be removed as it is part of the structure. Ive been grinding it down with a butter knife but I think it will come back. It grows like a weed in my system.
MVIMG_20190821_194451.jpg
 
Is that a “before” picture? Doesn’t look like you’ve tried to remove it. Break it off and put a rock-glue-putty over it
 
Id gladly buy it, but you can break off and replant. Nice health of system if it is growing this quickly !!
 
That's an older pic. It's been broken off a number of times. It continues to grow, shade, and encrust.

I can't add more rock easily but that may be the answer. I would rather not though.

IMG_20190908_212445.jpg MVIMG_20190908_211602.jpg
 
Grind it down again. Turn the flow pumps off and put thick kalk paste over it. Let it sit for a while. You might have to kalk past them twice.
 
If you break a bunch off, send it all to me!! I’ve been wanting some Monticap. Haha! ( no seriously if you are looking to get rid of it pm me)

As for removing it, I would go with what is being said above. Also, what about aiming a power head right at it? Wouldn’t that strip the tissue and cause it to die? Just an idea as I’ve done this to one of my sps accidentally
 
Cut out as much as you can sell it or get lfs credit/ or give it away lol. Then get some kalkwasser and mix some water make
a liquid paste. Turn off flow in tank and fill syringe with the kalk. Then apply it to what’s left of the orange cap on the rocks after 3-10 minutes of burning it to oblivion it will die. I would this when your doing a water change so you can siphon out the kalk on the rocks. It’s cheap and effective! May take 2 rounds on some of the vertical areas.
 
My concern with the kalk paste is that there are other corals near by. Part of the reason I want to choke it back is because it's going to grow over some frags and shade others.


I'll try the gsp. If that doesn't work I'll plant xenia on it... ; )

If anyone wants some and they are in the Albany ny area ... pm me.
 
I may resort to that if constant digging and scraping with a butter knife doesn't work.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

HOW DO YOU USUALLY MOVE WATER DURING A WATER CHANGE?

  • Buckets

    Votes: 2 14.3%
  • A siphon or gravel-vac hose

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • A pump and hose

    Votes: 2 14.3%
  • A dedicated mixing station

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • A plumbed or automated system

    Votes: 3 21.4%
  • A combination of these

    Votes: 7 50.0%
  • Whatever container is clean at the time

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Water changes? We don't need no stinkin' water changes!

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new