Need help identifying this sponge/algae and help getting rid of it

bradymoloho

New Member
View Badges
Joined
Dec 6, 2025
Messages
1
Reaction score
0
Location
usa
What state or country do you live in
Florida
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Long established tank, this one rock has development this green algae and the other some kind of black (algae? Sponge?) what are they and how can I get rid of them? Root cause?

IMG_2328.jpeg IMG_2329.jpeg IMG_2330.jpeg
 
Green algae might be a green cyano species. Is it slimy and can be blown off the rock with a turkey baster/pipette?

The dark/black "algae" is very likely a sponge. I had to nuke a rock that had such a black sponge as it grew around zoa heads and "choked" them to death, but I'm not sure if all dark sponges are causing trouble. Usually I like sponges but if they grow fast/aggressively or seem to bother corals they get thrown out.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT DO YOU USUALLY CHECK FIRST WHEN YOU LOOK AT YOUR REEF?

  • A particular fish I enjoy watching

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • The fish population—making sure everyone is accounted for

    Votes: 3 12.5%
  • Coral extension, color, or growth

    Votes: 11 45.8%
  • Recent additions or other changes

    Votes: 3 12.5%
  • Water clarity or the surface

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Equipment and water movement

    Votes: 1 4.2%
  • Signs of algae, pests, or trouble

    Votes: 1 4.2%
  • I just enjoy the whole scene

    Votes: 3 12.5%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 2 8.3%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new