Need help getting started, advice on my plan needed

ferndog

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello R2R!

I have been in the freshwater planted aquarium hobby for a little over seven years now. I have always eventually wanted to try saltwater, and I think the time is right for me. I've done tons of research already and have always found it fun to watch well-known youtube reefers. I don't have the craziest budget (Around 850-900 dollars for everything minus fish), but I am willing to put in any extra work to make a cheaper setup function properly.

The tank will be a 29-gallon regular rimmed tank purchased on the dollar per gallon sale.

I'm hoping to create a lagoon type aquarium with macroalgae and soft/lps coral sharing the display.

The macroalgae should help to clean the water in the display and act as a pseudo refugium.

Biological filtration will be handled by quality liverock and a couple of 425 gph powerheads.

For chemical and mechanical filtration, I will be using a seachem tidal 75 filter with filter floss (changed every two days) and chemipure blue.

I do not think from my reading that a protein skimmer would be necessary with this size of tank with regular water changes and the macroalgae/low bioload.

Lighting will be a current USA IC led light of the appropriate size. I've heard some good things about these lights.

Here is the shopping list in its entirety, please let me know what you guys think!

29 gallon
Current USA IC LED
100-watt neotherm heater
Instant Ocean Salt
RED SEA MCP TEST KIT MARINE CARE MASTER
refractometer
seachem tidal 75
Live Sand
ice cap ato (I'll upgrade to this later on)
koralia 425 x2
TYPHOON 5 STAGE RODI REEFKEEPER (5 stage due to chloramines in my water)
25 lbs dry rock form brs
DIY stand

I've seen some very successful tanks like this online and I am hopeful that it will work out!
With good husbandry, I hope to create a very nice tank for myself.

Haven't really decided on livestock, and would like some suggestions. I will only probably stock 2-3 small fish to keep the bioload down.

Would it just be easier to get an AIO? or am I on the right track?

dbl

It Takes Less Energy to be Nice
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
F

ferndog

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the link. I've read that a couple times, it really is an outstanding resource!

If you notice anything else glaringly wrong please let me know :)

Psustein

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just from experience I patched my first reef tank together and eventually got ahead of myself with diy and upgrades. Second time around I am buying a red sea reefer because I'm attracted to the engineered simplicity that I don't have to worry about doing myself. So the all in one system deffinetly is something I side with but obviously to each their own.

OP
OP
F

ferndog

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love red sea. They just are a bit too expensive than I am comfortable with. But I can see where you are coming from.

dbl

It Takes Less Energy to be Nice
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you have a local club where you are, keep an eye out there. Also Craigslist. People are always leaving the hobby for one reason or the other, and you may be surprised and pick one up at a huge discount off new. Just a suggestion.

OP
OP
F

ferndog

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been keeping an eye on craigslist, but I should probably check out the local club. I'm a bit suspicious of these type of transactions but if a deal comes up that looks good I'll take it.

Jesterrace

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just a recommendation that you might want to go with more flow from your powerheads. 850gph isn't much in terms of what some corals demand. I had a 1950gph Koralia running in my 36 gallon bowfront and it seemed about right for keeping flow in the tank. I'm not saying you need a 1950 but I would definitely say that you want something over 1000gph if you want some coral diversity.

polyppal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love the lagoon tank idea - Id agree you can probably get away with more flow. 850 seems like a lot but really isn't for a 29s size

OP
OP
F

ferndog

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok more flow is always an option, that was the one thing I was a bit unsure about! I might actually just go with one of the hydor koralia third generations 1950 gph like you mentioned. They seem to have really good reviews, and I like the design. Though would one strong powerhead or two less strong ones at about 950 gph be better?

OP
OP
F

ferndog

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had been including the tidal filter's 350 gph flowrate in the total flow number, but I guess that doesn't have the same effect as a powerhead.

Susan Edwards

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you are going to go current, check their ic pro versions. Also, you can use the eflux powerheads/wavemakers and with the loop controller, control lights and flow. I just got the lights and wavemakers set up. The marine orbit ic pro (I have the dual 72 inch lights) are their newest and their loop controller is a nice bonus. Their wavemakers, I have the largest are so powerful, I am running them at 30%.

OP
OP
F

ferndog

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's an interesting idea. Might be a bit out of my budget range atm, but I could always upgrade to the controller/wavemaker later and get the ic pro light to start.

OP
OP
F

ferndog

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Btw how many eflux wavemakers do you need to be effectively controllable? Could I just get 1 of the largest size?

Susan Edwards

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1 of the largest in your size tank will send water over the side! I have a 6' tank and both mine are set to 30% power. If I have them on wave, it really makes waves--at that lower percentage. I'd use 2 but much less powerful! 2 allows you to do wave or surge. Corals don't like steady one way streams. Most prefer some turbulence caused by wavemakers on either side of tank. Or 2 powerheads. For my current tank I have 3 of the jebao. 2 in front, 1 in back as I had poor flow behind the rock wall. I went with the jebao as they were controllable for speed and intensity. The eflux are the same. We are mounting the current bits this weekend. Will post pic of current stuff later

OP
OP
F

ferndog

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh ok, thanks. I'll get two of the smaller ones then lol! but thanks for answering my question.

Susan Edwards

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I believe the ic pro light comes with the loop controller and the hub for the efluxes without separate charges. Then you can purchase each eflux wavemaker separate without one of them being the kit. You can check. That was one of bonuses for me--a controller. Because I got my wm'ers first, I had to purchase one with the hub and one without. Lights came with hubs so I just have an extra hub now. You can post the link to the light you go with if you want

OP
OP
F

ferndog

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Susan Edwards

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Read the reviews/and questions asked for flow for your tank size. I know there were a bunch. I have the 2100's. You might be okay with the 2 660's. I'll read thru some of the reviews again. More is sometimes better but the 2100's would be way overkill. Not sure which is better--660 or 1050. Might not matter to go higher as you can set it lower. Will get back here before bed. Gotta go eat. Low blood sugar....

OP
OP
F

ferndog

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for helping me out! I'll check out some more reviews.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 45 35.4%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 28 22.0%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.1%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.9%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 24.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.1%
Back