Need help identifying a white parasite

markushio40b

Community Member
View Badges
Joined
Apr 13, 2023
Messages
60
Reaction score
16
Location
New Jersey
What state or country do you live in
New Jersey
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
This morning I woke up to see a bunch of these really small white parasites crawling on the glass of my tank. Not sure what they are or if they need to be treated. Fish are all fine and don’t have any strange spots or markings on them. Fowlr tank that’s been running for almost 3 months.

I know the picture isn’t the best. Hard to focus on them.

IMG_0166.jpeg
 
Usually these would just be a type of copepod.. they are good, free fish food
 
99% not parasites but copepods or munnid isopods. which means the microfauna in ur tank is thriving.
 
Agreed - it's safe to assume they're not parasitic unless you see actual parasitic behavior. My reef had pods on the display glass the first few months before they migrated to safer spots
 
If they’re beneficial, should I not clean the inside of the glass or do any heavy water changes for now? Was going to clean the sand this week, but I’ll hold off and just mix it up for now if that would disrupt them.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE BIGGEST REASON YOU ATTEND A FRAG SWAP?

  • Finding unusual or hard-to-find corals

    Votes: 6 28.6%
  • Better prices than buying online

    Votes: 10 47.6%
  • Trading or selling my own frags

    Votes: 2 9.5%
  • Meeting other reefers

    Votes: 7 33.3%
  • Learning from vendors and hobbyists

    Votes: 3 14.3%
  • Seeing corals in person before buying

    Votes: 10 47.6%
  • Supporting the local reefing community

    Votes: 7 33.3%
  • I don’t have frag swaps nearby

    Votes: 3 14.3%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new