Need help mixing salt in my tank and sump!!

Mele__Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey gang, I have an Sca 50 gallon setup with sump. I'm trying to find out how many gallons my sump is because I am planning to mix salt in the tank itself. I have been trying to contact SCA for several weeks now and no ones seems to get back to me. So, I'm seeking help from who I think are the pros in the hobby ,you guys! Can some one walk me through the easiest way to mix salt in the tank itself with my sump? I will be filling the tank directly from my rodi unit. I'm really uncertain on how I should approach this. Thanks in advance!

OP
OP
Mele__Reef

Mele__Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And for the record forgot to mention that this would be my first sump setup.

Mal11224

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I set up my 70gal tank, filled up the tank with water and got it running through the sump and when the water was at the right level I put 3 powerheads in the tank and just started adding salt per the recommended dosage per gallon. The key is that I added salt in intervals. Let the powerheads distribute the salt and then added more salt and kept measuring the salinity until I reached 35ppt. If you know the amount of water in gallons, then you can pretty much figure out how many cups of salt you may need. Otherwise, test often. You'll get it.

Fishfinder

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You know the tank is 50 gal. Find the water line in the sump, and use those dimensions to get the gallons. LxWxH in inches divided by 231. will give you the gallons of the sump. Then figuring out the salt amount is easy. Just circulate with powerheads

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 60 38.5%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 35 22.4%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 55 35.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.8%
Back