Need Help mounting a External Skimmer above my sump

Ashish Patel

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Joined
Feb 9, 2017
Messages
3,432
Reaction score
2,631
Location
Marlboro NJ
What state or country do you live in
New Jersey
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i decided to upgrade my skimmer from a Super reef octopus 10" internal ss to a external Varios 12" external recirculating skimmers. My tank is 400 gallons and my sump is 240 gallon, i have the space in my sump and I rather not mount it externally because I dont want to deal with any spills and overflow issues (especially when im away for the week).

I need ideas to mount this beast 2" above the water line (11" from the bottom). I dont think eggcrate and PVC would cutt it given weight, I did some research its about 100Lbs with water.

Why I need to Upgrade.
Constantly having to dose Vodka, constantly having to remove wet skimmate, can't grow tenuis acros.

1762439403773.png
1762439675480.png
 
Maybe add some sort of shelf in a corner of the sump, with a rubber pad to absorb the vibration?
 
Keep it simple.

You said you have space in the sump for it.

If it were my tank, I would cut a piece of 6 inch perforated PVC to length and use use it as a pedestal.

A plastic nursery pot filled with crushed coral also works well.
 
Maybe add some sort of shelf in a corner of the sump, with a rubber pad to absorb the vibration?
Not concerned about vibration, more so the stand colapsing because its not strong enough to hold the skimmer, I have a old acrylic tank that I could use or remove sheets of it and add 1.5" pvc legs, or better yet find a small acrylic end table would work. just need ideas because this is not a typical skimmer you can raise up in the sump.
 
Not concerned about vibration, more so the stand colapsing because its not strong enough to hold the skimmer, I have a old acrylic tank that I could use or remove sheets of it and add 1.5" pvc legs, or better yet find a small acrylic end table would work. just need ideas because this is not a typical skimmer you can raise up in the sump.
2” PVC pipe as a frame, perhaps?
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHICH TYPE OF REEF CONTENT MOST OFTEN GETS YOU TO PARTICIPATE?

  • Daniel's daily polls. They're awesome! 😎

    Votes: 8 26.7%
  • A real troubleshooting problem

    Votes: 11 36.7%
  • Build-thread or tank-update posts

    Votes: 6 20.0%
  • Before-and-after progress photos

    Votes: 3 10.0%
  • Beginner questions

    Votes: 9 30.0%
  • Honest success or failure stories

    Votes: 7 23.3%
  • A post, update, or article from my favorite vendor

    Votes: 5 16.7%
  • Detailed how-to or educational discussions

    Votes: 9 30.0%
  • Tank tours and member showcases

    Votes: 5 16.7%
  • Local events, swaps, or meetups

    Votes: 5 16.7%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 7 23.3%

New Posts

Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new