Need Help - Need Pump for Old Vertex Skimmer

Billyjose4

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was gifted a (mostly unused) Vertex Aquaristik protein skimmer. I think this skimmer is from ~2010ish. Based on the measurements, I think it's the Gen-3 IN-250 model.
Vertex Skimmers

Q1: Can anyone find an owner's manual or any docs online for this skimmer?
Q2: Does anyone have a clue what pump I can buy for this? A DC pump?

I have a 225gal this (gifted) skimmer could be a great fit for... if I can figure out how to get it up and running.

IMG_20220314_1949401.jpg IMG_20220314_1949589.jpg IMG_20220314_1950151.jpg

OP
OP
Billyjose4

Billyjose4

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No, they either lost it or chucked it.
They gave it to me free. Figured I could buy a skimmer pump and make it work.

OP
OP
Billyjose4

Billyjose4

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No, they either lost it or chucked it.
They gave it to me free. Figured I could buy a skimmer pump and make it work.
I was hoping to find something about this particular model online, but can't seem to find anything. I'm not even sure Vertex makes protein skimmers anymore.

OP
OP
Billyjose4

Billyjose4

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I found an old thread in the old RC forums for "Vertex Skimmer club" and I think I have either the Gen-2 or Gen-3 IN-250 model.
The Gen-1 models seemed to require a 90 degree elbow fitting for an opening higher up on the skimmer body.
I measured my skimmer and I have a 1.25" opening that starts 2" off the base- which seems to align with the Gen-2/Gen-3 model. As far as I can tell.

I was considering (if it ever comes back in stock) the Varios-6S DC skimmer pump as a replacement pump. The specs seem close to the original, plus it gives me the DC options. The Varios-6S model has a 1.25" outlet, so I'm assuming that will fit the 1.25" opening on the skimmer body. Also comes with a bracket so can be side-mounted 90 degrees- so may not have to go full-blown MacGyver... if I'm lucky.

Thoughts? Crazy??

George's reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I found an old thread in the old RC forums for "Vertex Skimmer club" and I think I have either the Gen-2 or Gen-3 IN-250 model.
The Gen-1 models seemed to require a 90 degree elbow fitting for an opening higher up on the skimmer body.
I measured my skimmer and I have a 1.25" opening that starts 2" off the base- which seems to align with the Gen-2/Gen-3 model. As far as I can tell.

I was considering (if it ever comes back in stock) the Varios-6S DC skimmer pump as a replacement pump. The specs seem close to the original, plus it gives me the DC options. The Varios-6S model has a 1.25" outlet, so I'm assuming that will fit the 1.25" opening on the skimmer body. Also comes with a bracket so can be side-mounted 90 degrees- so may not have to go full-blown MacGyver... if I'm lucky.

Thoughts? Crazy??
I was wondering if you made it work.. I have an old vertex as well.. just thats mine its a wider body and I can't find any information about it I don't know what model is it or generation.. but I made it work with a varios 6 pump

Attachments

• 20240201_174735.jpg
    20240201_174735.jpg
    165.6 KB · Views: 14

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 45 21.3%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 73 34.6%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 70 33.2%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 19 9.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.9%
Back