Need help on a change in the system

bnord

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Novice keeper here, but trying to catch on fast
Read somewhere in here that stability was really important in maintaining long term success in your system.
So i am trying to practice this
Have 2 tanks - a 40 and a 180.
Use Kalkwasswer in the ATO in both and have great and consistent alk in both and a fluctuating pH in the 180 between 7.8 and 8.2. the 40 is mostly LPS and fish, the 180 has lots of healthy mixed frags.
All other Chemistry is spot on and fish and corals look good to great.
The 180 has a built in ATO with a float in the sump and while that has not been a problem yet, i stare at the ceiling some nights imagining a kalk dump in the sump.
So want to learn 2 (3) part and have purchased Kamoer dosers with the plan in the next month(s) to shift from ATO supply to 2 part for the 180.

So... what is the best way to transition between systems. Won‘t waste the space to tell you all the ways i have thought about, just want to get the most straightforward way possible. Again, it is mostly a fear/need to get the kalk out of the 180’s ATO rather an an issue with todays (or likely the next months) chemistry
if this has been presented elsewhere, happy to look there - sort of assume it has - just don’t know where to look.
Merci mucho
BN

xxkenny90xx

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have a controller for the dosers? I wouldn't worry about the transition, just do your best to keep the #s stable. Lots of testing at first

Fishfinder

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A lot of people run kalk in their system forever. It’s a great additive. No need to remove it, any pump can fail.
But if you want to switch to 2-part, set it up to dose multiple times a day (10-12) and test alk daily at first. Set it to dose about .5dkh the first day. Then adjust up or down from there

OP
OP
bnord

bnord

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A lot of people run kalk in their system forever. It’s a great additive. No need to remove it, any pump can fail.
But if you want to switch to 2-part, set it up to dose multiple times a day (10-12) and test alk daily at first. Set it to dose about .5dkh the first day. Then adjust up or down from there
Thanks, failures on vs. failures off are what concern me! smile - thanks

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 15 28.8%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 19 36.5%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 13 25.0%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 4 7.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.9%
Back