OP
OP
RockyMountainReefing

RockyMountainReefing

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a similar setup on my IM 100gal bean animal using a ClariSea 3000 gen 3. Modified sump from filter socks to roller mat. I experienced everything you were talking about BUT it got a lot better when I got rid of two 90 elbows on my main drain going to the roller mat. I finagled some 45s and soft tubing instead.

I also find that making sure the seal between the main drain and roller mat is tight is important. For example when I take out the roller mat for maintenance and put it back if I didn't have a tight seal between the main drain and the roller mat elbow then I was getting too much flow through the secondary and it would throw every thing off.

Till this day things will be whisper quiet and flowing perfectly and then randomly I'll have super high water level in the DT and water gushing out of the emergency and secondary and I feel like I'm going in circles adjusting pump speeds, gate valves and messing with the ATO and I usually end up coming back to the roller mat and that will end up being my adjustment. IE it was being bypassed, or stopped rolling so the fleece is clogged more then usual but not completely clogged

Hope this helps.
I think u might be right. My main drain is connected to the roller mat with tubing. When I took apart my drain to inspect my gate valve, the tubing on the barbe fittings just slipped off and that was right at the water line.

OP
OP
RockyMountainReefing

RockyMountainReefing

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think u might be right. My main drain is connected to the roller mat with tubing. When I took apart my drain to inspect my gate valve, the tubing on the barbe fittings just slipped off and that was right at the water line.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    132.6 KB · Views: 29

jpnegrete14

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In my setup it’s really easy to overlook if that elbow connection from the main drain to the roller mat is properly set because the effect it has when it’s not set is on my secondary AND the secondary is right below the water line so I can’t hear if waters gushing through (I originally did that so I couldn’t hear the small intentional drip. But now it’s working against me on the opposite spectrum)

So what happens with me is when everything is good it’ll be whisper quiet. Won’t need to mess with valves or pump speed and then I’ll maintenance the roller mat put it back and sometimes accidentally not set that connection correctly. BUT it’s tight enough to where you think it is and all the while I have way more water going down the secondary and that’s where I start chasing my tail adjusting everything. But now I know better. Took awhile. Was extremely frustrating so I feel your pain.

OP
OP
RockyMountainReefing

RockyMountainReefing

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In my setup it’s really easy to overlook if that elbow connection from the main drain to the roller mat is properly set because the effect it has when it’s not set is on my secondary AND the secondary is right below the water line so I can’t hear if waters gushing through (I originally did that so I couldn’t hear the small intentional drip. But now it’s working against me on the opposite spectrum)

So what happens with me is when everything is good it’ll be whisper quiet. Won’t need to mess with valves or pump speed and then I’ll maintenance the roller mat put it back and sometimes accidentally not set that connection correctly. BUT it’s tight enough to where you think it is and all the while I have way more water going down the secondary and that’s where I start chasing my tail adjusting everything. But now I know better. Took awhile. Was extremely frustrating so I feel your pain.
This is the level today. Finally evaporation is showing in return chamber. Hopefully figured it out but I doubt it. I’m starting to think a weekend vacation is impossible in this hobby. I don’t even have coral or fish.

Attachments

• 03A52F21-5D04-4D8B-B413-4027A60E3FA4.jpeg
    03A52F21-5D04-4D8B-B413-4027A60E3FA4.jpeg
    144.8 KB · Views: 15
  • B08EE46B-A82B-4269-9F7E-CB374CC1A310.jpeg
    B08EE46B-A82B-4269-9F7E-CB374CC1A310.jpeg
    174.6 KB · Views: 22

jpnegrete14

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is the level today. Finally evaporation is showing in return chamber. Hopefully figured it out but I doubt it. I’m starting to think a weekend vacation is impossible in this hobby. I don’t even have coral or fish.
Stay strong man. You'll get it eventually. My wife and I just came back from a 10 day trip to Mexico! It's possible with the right setup.

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey OP are you in colorado?? Im pretty sure you are based on your name. Ive got a LFS and a guy who is really good with that stuff that I can recommend that might be able to help

OP
OP
RockyMountainReefing

RockyMountainReefing

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I
Hey OP are you in colorado?? Im pretty sure you are based on your name. Ive got a LFS and a guy who is really good with that stuff that I can recommend that might be able to help
Yes
I’m in Colorado. Brighton

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I

Yes

I’m in Colorado. Brighton
Call Neptunes Tropical fish in Centennial and ask to speak to Cooper. He is really good with this stuff and might be able to help over the phone, if not take pictures and videos in to him and he can help guide you or recommend actions to fix it. Best LFS in colorado. Aquatic art is a close second. Farther from you but worth the drive and very spot on with their knowledge and passionate about reef keeping not just selling fish.

OP
OP
RockyMountainReefing

RockyMountainReefing

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Call Neptunes Tropical fish in Centennial and ask to speak to Cooper. He is really good with this stuff and might be able to help over the phone, if not take pictures and videos in to him and he can help guide you or recommend actions to fix it. Best LFS in colorado. Aquatic art is a close second. Farther from you but worth the drive and very spot on with their knowledge and passionate about reef keeping not just selling fish.
Thank u very much I will look into them. Are u in Colorado as well?

RocketEngineer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking through the pictures I have questions.
1) Where is the gate valve on the main drain? Because from the pics I’ve seen, it doesn’t look like it’s under the tank. You said you had issues when the returns come back on and this makes sense if the gate valve is really high above the sump and you’re trapping air in the drain line.
2) What is the height difference between the stand pipes in the overflow box? I’ve found if they are too close, you end up fighting to get things stable in that very narrow window. Making them about 1” different seems to work best for me.
3) How did you determine your “max fill” of the sump? The water level in the return section looks low to me for a system you say is full.

OP
OP
RockyMountainReefing

RockyMountainReefing

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking through the pictures I have questions.
1) Where is the gate valve on the main drain? Because from the pics I’ve seen, it doesn’t look like it’s under the tank. You said you had issues when the returns come back on and this makes sense if the gate valve is really high above the sump and you’re trapping air in the drain line.
2) What is the height difference between the stand pipes in the overflow box? I’ve found if they are too close, you end up fighting to get things stable in that very narrow window. Making them about 1” different seems to work best for me.
3) How did you determine your “max fill” of the sump? The water level in the return section looks low to me for a system you say is full.
I actually figured it. I had a hose that connected the drain to the filter roller. Where the hose clamp goes onto the barb fitting was not tight enough allowing water/ air in/out.

OP
OP
RockyMountainReefing

RockyMountainReefing

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I actually figured it. I had a hose that connected the drain to the filter roller. Where the hose clamp goes onto the barb fitting was not tight enough allowing water/ air in/out.

OP
OP
RockyMountainReefing

RockyMountainReefing

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s the process of figuring it out. Funny I’ve read a lot of other people having same issue, I wonder if this would help them. I also had a piece of plastic stuck in the gate valve. About half inch by half inch flat. I’m not sure if that could have been part the issue also.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 30 27.8%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 35 32.4%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 34 31.5%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 7 6.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.9%
Back