Need Help Selecting Fish for my new Tank

AKL1950

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Need some help selecting the fish I’m going to get for my new reef tank. DT will be 165 gallon and be primarily SPS. My list of fish is too big. I like them all and I need to cut it down to about 10-12 that, hopefully, can get along. Thursday I pick up my first three to go into quarantine. Those will be two Percula Clowns and a Flame Fin Tomimi Tang. The Tomimi will be the first of four Tangs I want to put in the tank. After that I need some help/guidance on who can play well with each other. Choices for King of the Tank will be one of these three: Gem Tang, Achilles Tang or Powder Blue Tang. I’m leaning toward the Gem, but need some pros and cons on each. Next group will be for tang number three. I like both a Blonde Naso or a Blue Dory Tang and have had them before, so one or the other will make the cut. Tang number four I’m open to any others and need suggestions that won’t get beat up by the choices above, but one that looks pretty cool. Any suggestions would be appreciated, because I’m not real familiar with a lot of the not so popular tangs, like some of the bristletooth tangs. I know if I Get the Gem then yellows, purples and Black ones that are similar to it are out. After that I’m thinking some Chromis or Anthias and maybe a goby, dottyback or wrasse, but not sure which ones would be best. I do like the Purple Fireafish Goby and Orchid Dottyback, but understand they are jumpers and I’ll have an open top tank. Any suggestions are appreciated. Thanks for the help.

Jetson

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With an open tank I'd steer clear of any fish shaped like a torpedo. In terms of other fish: flame hawkfish, coral beauty dwarf angel, lyretail anthias, royal gramma, any dottyback, sixline wrasse, cleaner wrasse, melanarus wrasse, banggai cardinals, green chromis, etc.

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 6.5%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 4.0%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 4.8%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 99 79.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 4.8%
Back