Need help selecting gear

ReefSakes

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all I tried asking for help in my 66g sca build but no one responding to that. So I figure I would start a new thread here.

So I am debating on whether to get a 20c Trigger sump. The question is to fleece or not to fleece. Should I spend the extra money on the fleece set up or get the no fleece and spend the money on a couple mp40qd. Also for a 32x24x20 tank would you do 1 radion xr30 or 2 xr15 or 2 xr30. Some guidance is appreciated thanks in advance!

qhduong

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you feel it will have the pow for clams on the floor bed? Also notice your post says you pacific nw. I'm in Lacey Washington state. Where u from?
Yeah it should be fine. Watch the brs video on XR15, on sand you should get 150 pat running the lights at 60%. You could even add a 3rd XR15, still cheaper than 2 xr30 and better spread.

I'm in Renton.

OP
OP
ReefSakes

ReefSakes

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah it should be fine. Watch the brs video on XR15, on sand you should get 150 pat running the lights at 60%. You could even add a 3rd XR15, still cheaper than 2 xr30 and better spread.

I'm in Renton.
Yeah that makes sense. Nice we are neighbors!

Bepis

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’d go for fleece. Despite my sump running socks. That’s only since fleece only truly became a thing after I bought the sump. It will relieve so much work

OP
OP
ReefSakes

ReefSakes

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’d go for fleece. Despite my sump running socks. That’s only since fleece only truly became a thing after I bought the sump. It will relieve so much work
Thanks! Definitely leaning towards it. should I go with the 20c cube or 26? Is there any benefit with either one as far as equipment placement?

OP
OP
ReefSakes

ReefSakes

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also too... I'm wondering if trigger will adopt optical sensors into their system in the future.

Bepis

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Consider this 20c is larger which means more stability. Yet the 26 is straight and probably had a better flow turnover. Although 20c is only 4g larger. Is your tank a cube? I’m no expert so other people please chime in

OP
OP
ReefSakes

ReefSakes

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Consider this 20c is larger which means more stability. Yet the 26 is straight and probably had a better flow turnover. Although 20c is only 4g larger. Is your tank a cube? I’m no expert so other people please chime in
The tank I'm working on is 32x24x20. The cube will give me more cabinet space for maybe a ato rez or refugium although not sure if i even need a refugium if going with the fleece set up.

Bepis

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The tank I'm working on is 32x24x20. The cube will give me more cabinet space for maybe a ato rez or refugium although not sure if i even need a refugium if going with the fleece set up.
No refugiam needed. If you look at my 220 I have filter socks and still don’t use a fuge. Ato though that’s valuable

OP
OP
ReefSakes

ReefSakes

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No refugiam needed. If you look at my 220 I have filter socks and still don’t use a fuge. Ato though that’s valuable
Fuge would be good to have I feel but i do hate maintaining a fuge under the cabinet. So I was looking at this algae scrubber. Looks legit. Anyone have any experience with it?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20201126-230318_eBay.jpg
    Screenshot_20201126-230318_eBay.jpg
    67.9 KB · Views: 16
  • Screenshot_20201126-230322_eBay.jpg
    Screenshot_20201126-230322_eBay.jpg
    57.1 KB · Views: 14

Bepis

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s not a fuge. That’s a scrubber.. big difference. A scrubber is focused on growing algae which removes nitrates but a fuge is more focused on pods and bacteria populations

OP
OP
ReefSakes

ReefSakes

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s not a fuge. That’s a scrubber.. big difference. A scrubber is focused on growing algae which removes nitrates but a fuge is more focused on pods and bacteria populations
Lol I know that isn't a fuge. My post said i hate maintaining a fuge and asked if the scrubber was a better/different option for the purpose of exporting nuits

OP
OP
ReefSakes

ReefSakes

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lol I know that isn't a fuge. My post said i hate maintaining a fuge and asked if the scrubber was a better/different option for the purpose of exporting

OP
OP
ReefSakes

ReefSakes

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I got All this gear obviously can be used on a much bigger system then the 66g sca. So now contemplating of just ordering bigger tank since I have 1600 sq ft in my garage. I have RO 150sss skimmer, vortechs, m2, apex system, dos/ddr, 2 radion xr15 en route. I need help on deciding on whether to go with a trigger platinum sump or modify a sump to fit a klir sea. What would you do?

dmy535

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Depends what you’d need to modify the sump for? Meaning, if you had specific ideas for certain chambers then yes, I’d go with the custom build... but honestly those trigger dumps look sweet!

Nice pick up on equipment btw. About 4 weeks ago I had the same issue trying to decide on lights... I went with 2 xr15s and glad I did that over 1 32.

OP
OP
ReefSakes

ReefSakes

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Depends what you’d need to modify the sump for? Meaning, if you had specific ideas for certain chambers then yes, I’d go with the custom build... but honestly those trigger dumps look sweet!

Nice pick up on equipment btw. About 4 weeks ago I had the same issue trying to decide on lights... I went with 2 xr15s and glad I did that over 1 32.
I'm starting to lean towards the trigger for the clean seamless look. Now I gotta sugar up my wife to let me order a bigger tank in the near future lol. Use to have a 700g system 11 -12 years ago but gear has evolved so much since then.

Bepis

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I got All this gear obviously can be used on a much bigger system then the 66g sca. So now contemplating of just ordering bigger tank since I have 1600 sq ft in my garage. I have RO 150sss skimmer, vortechs, m2, apex system, dos/ddr, 2 radion xr15 en route. I need help on deciding on whether to go with a trigger platinum sump or modify a sump to fit a klir sea. What would you do?
Honestly I’d stick with the tankI have and get the trigger sump. In reefing I find it more effective to stay on the route you started. You have the top of the line stuff and also even though your stuff could work for a bigger tank, you don’t want the bare minimum for your tank you want it to handle even a bad situation and have what you need to keep anything within it

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 64 36.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 33.9%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 14.4%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 14.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back