Need help sizing a pump.

DBLA

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I need help figuring out the appropriate size(flow) pump for a little different situation.
I will be running the pump from inside the back of a 65gal JBL AIO up 20”, U turn down behind tank to a Pentair 25W UVS. Then 28” up the 3” ID UV sterilizer then another 36” or so to return to tank.

I plan on utilizing the UV S for clarity so need about a 400gph to get a 7-8x turnover per hour.

I’m hung up on the the rise (fall - gravity) then rise again in a substantially larger plumbing. Dose the head pressure just add the rise?

does running 3/4” hose over 1/2” help?
TIA
Aaron

OP
OP
DBLA

DBLA

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sicce SDC 6.0 pump. DC, should be able to run it at less than 60% to achieve the desired flow rate.
I run a Sicce SDC 3.0 as my main return pump, I’m worried the 6.0 may be too big for the rear chamber I’ll have to take some measurements.

DCR

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes the rise and fall cancel each other out. You are largely just dealing with frictional losses.

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 17.6%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 27 15.9%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 18.8%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 73 42.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.7%
Back