Need help:SPS does Awesome, LPS not so much

Lowefx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So first off, I'm disappointed that R2R is not on Tapatalk anymore. It was very easy accessible and kept me engaged.
Anyways, my LPS like Acans, and chalice's are STN'ing but my SPS like Waltdisney and Red Dragon are thriving and growing so fast. Now before you ask what every single parameter is, i don't know the trace elements at this time. Im waiting for a test kit that i ordered. But the basics are very standard and within good range. 1.025, ca 390, alk 8.4, mag 1420, temp 77. Lighting i have an ATI 6bulb 48" T5's.

I hope i can get a few other reefers who have experienced this and can point me in the right direction without going on tangents.

Thanks fellow reefers!

Retro Reefer

Slow and steady wins the race!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
May be a nutrient issue.. I have undetectable N&P and my LPS need constant feeding to stay happy, my SPS could care less with the exception of maybe some color loss.

Auquanut

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
^^ That was my first thought too. Might be something to consider when the test kits come in.

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How about nibblers? I keep large SPS colonies but acans and many chalice just end up as lunch.

Dr. Dendrostein

Marine fish monthly
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So first off, I'm disappointed that R2R is not on Tapatalk anymore. It was very easy accessible and kept me engaged.
Anyways, my LPS like Acans, and chalice's are STN'ing but my SPS like Waltdisney and Red Dragon are thriving and growing so fast. Now before you ask what every single parameter is, i don't know the trace elements at this time. Im waiting for a test kit that i ordered. But the basics are very standard and within good range. 1.025, ca 390, alk 8.4, mag 1420, temp 77. Lighting i have an ATI 6bulb 48" T5's.

I hope i can get a few other reefers who have experienced this and can point me in the right direction without going on tangents.

Thanks fellow reefers!
Comrade, you mention nothing about feeding LPS corals

Auquanut

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
po4 is 0.04 and no3 is 8 i think as of last week

Those numbers don't sound too bad to me. Unless there's been a drastic change, I wouldn't think that's your problem. I target feed reef chili a couple times a week. The LPS really respond to that.

Vstryker

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a similar problem... Sps doing great but lps have slowly started to shrink up or recede. I have 2 mp40 higher up at about 70% and 2 xr30 in a 4x2' tank. Is there no happy medium for a moxed reef tank?

OP
OP
Lowefx

Lowefx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those numbers don't sound too bad to me. Unless there's been a drastic change, I wouldn't think that's your problem. I target feed reef chili a couple times a week. The LPS really respond to that.
So feeding reef chili I didnt see much of a reaction. I even covered up the coral with a bottle so the shrimp didnt steal it. Still seeing some areas receed. I'm still waiting on the water test.

OP
OP
Lowefx

Lowefx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, results are in. I have since brought Calcium up, but i need to get iodine and a few more items. tell me what you think!

my results

Attachments

• Analyse110619.pdf
    130.5 KB · Views: 134

topjimmy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Funny story, I have the exact opposite problem. LPS grow great, sps wither and die...

I'm simply resigned to not putting any sps in the tank anymore.

Zoajohn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
In the same boat man. All my acans, euphyllia, favias, chalices one day started losing tissue. Fast forward to now and every frag of the above I add dies at the 4 week mark almost to a tee.

Zoas and SPS thrive. And oddly enough a plate coral and trachy are doing well. Rainbow BTA doing great too.

OP
OP
Lowefx

Lowefx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Funny story, I have the exact opposite problem. LPS grow great, sps wither and die...

I'm simply resigned to not putting any sps in the tank anymore.
Ohh the irony
In the same boat man. All my acans, euphyllia, favias, chalices one day started losing tissue. Fast forward to now and every frag of the above I add dies at the 4 week mark almost to a tee.

Zoas and SPS thrive. And oddly enough a plate coral and trachy are doing well. Rainbow BTA doing great too.
I noticed on my ICP test that my iodine was super low. I've dosed over the past few days. I'd be curious if there was a correlation between the two.
So far my mixed reef is thriving. Try applying activated carbon and water changes.

Could it be new salt?
I always run carbon in a reactor, and no new salt. Still reefcrystals. That's all I have ever run.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 42 32.6%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 22.5%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 19.4%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 33 25.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back