need help! Tank stalled on nitrite

KentuckyReefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 55 gallon reef tank. About 45lbs of dry rock added. 20 gallons in sump. Around 40lbs live sand. Ammonia is at 0ppm, nitrite is off the chart, nitrate is around 20ppm. Saw the ammonia spike and it went down. Now nitrite will not go down. I no that notoriety is not harmful unless in large quantities, but I am concerned my tank is stalled. What can I do to it this? I have added bio-spira and some other nitrifying bacteria products.

Should I do a water change? Dose ammonia?

Excited to be part of the community!

tyler1503

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would try a new test kit to start with. You may have a bad nitrite kit. What kits are you using?
How long has it been like that for?

If nitrite won't drop at all after another few days and the levels have been confirmed with another test kit, I'd do water changes to lower nitrite start the ammonia source again. It's better to be safe and attempt the initial cycle again, than have it possibly crash in 6 months because it didn't cycle properly to start with.

OP
OP
KentuckyReefer

KentuckyReefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would try a new test kit to start with. You may have a bad nitrite kit. What kits are you using?

If nitrite won't drop at all after another few days and the levels have been confirmed with another test kit, I'd do water changes to lower nitrite start the ammonia source again. It's better to be safe and attempt the initial cycle again, than have it possibly crash in 6 months because it didn't cycle properly to start with.

I am using API test kits. Plan on getting better ones in the very near future. All the lfs had at the time. The nitrites were around
2ppm about a week or so ago. But now the test kit is almost pink it's so purple. Has been this way for the past few days. I was under the impression the the nitrites should drop within a day or so if it was cycling properly.

OP
OP
KentuckyReefer

KentuckyReefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

If nitrite won't drop at all after another few days and the levels have been confirmed with another test kit, I'd do water changes to lower nitrite start the ammonia source again. It's better to be safe and attempt the initial cycle again, than have it possibly crash in 6 months because it didn't cycle properly to start with.[/QUOTE

Also I tested a friends aquarium and his levels were correct

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 114 74.5%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 9.8%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 10 6.5%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 3 2.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 5 3.3%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 4 2.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.3%
Back