Need help to wrap aluminum t slot with acrylic panel

TherealplexiG

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Building a 60 gallon rimless.. Got my aluminium t slot frame today.. Need ideas to wrap it up with acrylic.
I have gone though Alot of similar stand builds, but none gave me a brief idea. I want a clean look hence decided to wrap it from the out side. I want to magnetically mount 3/8 inch acrylic panes. First covering the sides and flushing front one the sides..
I have been through vertex brs videos similar stand build where they have used Z brackets (picture hanging) but I'm not from the states procuring would be pain. I wanna use neomydium magnets.
Ideas or suggestions would be really helpful. Pic of the frame attached.. Thanks in advance. Your boy p to g plexiglass G
IMG-20170424-WA0007.jpg

Greybeard

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hm. I'd likely put the magnets into the T slots, covered with silicone to keep them sealed, and frame the acrylic panels with thin, powder coated U channel steel. Give the panels some resilience.

I'd might even use semi-transparent, dark blue or dark red acrylic ;)

bblumberg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you plan to leave the back open, it might look good to bend a large panel into a U shape so that it slides up to the stand and is held with a magnet or two.

Bruce

OP
OP
TherealplexiG

TherealplexiG

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like a great idea Mr. Beard.
I want a cleaner look so, I'll route a slot or hole not throughout acrylic and flush the magnet in. I was planning to go all white like P Diddy, Im going to use clear silicone to my tank, most likely the tank gonna look like one from ADA or high end custom tank manufacturer (I build tanks professionally) :)

OP
OP
TherealplexiG

TherealplexiG

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you plan to leave the back open, it might look good to bend a large panel into a U shape so that it slides up to the stand and is held with a magnet or two.

Bruce

Sound like an awesome idea. But our facility does not have a large oven to bend acrylic. I'm planning to use 3/8 or 1/2 inch thick panes so that they don't bow.

bblumberg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sound like an awesome idea. But our facility does not have a large oven to bend acrylic. I'm planning to use 3/8 or 1/2 inch thick panes so that they don't bow.
While I have not tried it myself, I have watched videos that bent the acrylic with a heat gun. Maybe the experts will chime in?

Bruce

OP
OP
TherealplexiG

TherealplexiG

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do Alot of acrylic fabrication. Neatly bending it would require an oven. 3/8 would bend crappy over the nichrome wire heater. Silicone strip heaters are not available locally. I might build myself one someday. But I like really clean stuff. Kinda more inclined towards it. More over that removing the whole structure for maintainance would be pain. That thing could weigh a little. I like sharp edges, the tank is gonna be like that. Hope you understand what Im saying. I have tagged all the acrylic gurus to this post. Hope the chime in.

bblumberg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
good luck - I will keep watching to see how it turns out.

Bruce

OP
OP
TherealplexiG

TherealplexiG

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Seriously???????????

LOL yeah!
When it comes to my personal tank.. I'm all anal, wanna go the best route. Even the simplest of things get complicated because I tend to think Alot. All of you fabricators are innovative, experienced and knowledgeable. We might get some new ideas here. I was also looking into mitered joints on those acrylic panels..

cromag27

octoaquatics.com - ig = @octoaquatics. view my sig
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No, the fact that you would call on them and not me was disturbing. I build stands, they don't!

LOL yeah!
When it comes to my personal tank.. I'm all anal, wanna go the best route. Even the simplest of things get complicated because I tend to think Alot. All of you fabricators are innovative, experienced and knowledgeable. We might get some new ideas here. I was also looking into mitered joints on those acrylic panels..

OP
OP
TherealplexiG

TherealplexiG

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No, the fact that you would call on them and not me was disturbing. I build stands, they don't!

Oh! Boy...
I'm extremely sorry. To be honest is I had a hard time remembering pseudo names here.. It's been time since I'm out of here doing other things personal and family. You know that you're the guys I would literally bend over for. And those braincells keep on dying it's totally my fault, I admit and apologize. You know that I love you. Forgive me for not remembering you. Thanks for chiming in and showing some love.

Regards,
Plexi

Lowell Lemon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Hey cromag08 I build lots of cabinets from acrylic to Corian to some new materials in the testing phase. But I have not used an aluminium 8020 system for a stand. So I remain silent on the best method for magnet use.

Lowell Lemon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 16 16.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 5 5.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 16 16.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 50 52.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 8.4%
Back