Need help with a cracked glass tank

Bdroid

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Reefers! This is my first time posting so please forgive me if I’m doing this incorrectly. With that being said, i was wondering if anyone here can give me some guidance on how to fix/patch a crack on my 80 gallon tank. The crack is located on the top middle portion of my tank (picture provided). I’m thinking about using a window repair kit to fill in the cracks between the glass and then apply some aquarium safe silicone on the outer layer but not exactly sure if that’s a good idea. Any advice you can give me would be greatly appreciated. Really trying to avoid buying another new tank.
431d24437b1466689bfe1f1fd2256b5c.jpeg

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I persnally would replace that panel as any leak will cause damage to tank, stand and ultimately flooring and not worth it.
Take this same picture or tank to a glass company in your area and see if they are willing/able to cut a new piece and re-silicone othet wise to do it yourself -not a bad project and good learning experience.
It is possible to have them cut a 4" x 4" square with a new hole and silicone it behind the tank as a patch and reinforcement

Last edited:

hdsoftail1065

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with the others, it wouldn't be worth the risk, replace the panel or the tank.

Dr. Reef

www.drreefsquarantinedfish.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
there is no quick fix or patch for this. You will have to replace the whole panel or start with a different tank.
Btw its due to too much tightening or pressure.

OP
OP
B

Bdroid

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you everyone for the advice! This is my first time trying to setup up a saltwater aquarium and I really want to get into this hobby but this incident is definitely not helping...

hdsoftail1065

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We are sorry your first stab at the hobby had a snag but nobody wants to see a catastrophic fail that could easily be avoided. Don't give up, welcome to R2R and remember everyone is here to help. :)

Geebs19

Give me all the Euphyllia
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Replacing that section of glass is going to be a lot easier then replacing flooring. It sucks to get set back, but gotta do things the right way to prevent future incidents.

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Thank you everyone for the advice! This is my first time trying to setup up a saltwater aquarium and I really want to get into this hobby but this incident is definitely not helping...

If you were closer, I'd help you fix it. Saltwater is corrosive and no fun to work with when it crystallizes. Ince youre up and running, you will not regret it.
In the mean time, view you tube for helpful videos in tank glass replacement to give you a clear picture of the process

TherealplexiG

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you were closer, I'd help you fix it. Saltwater is corrosive and no fun to work with when it crystallizes. Ince youre up and running, you will not regret it.
In the mean time, view you tube for helpful videos in tank glass replacement to give you a clear picture of the process

Never trust youtube its all mostly junk there. Half baked stories and tips. This is coming from a professional glass tank builder.

TherealplexiG

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Op. Change the entire panel or throw that tank to thrash bin. Not worth IMHO.

Who ever drilled that hole is not handy at all. The crack starts from the hole and it occurred due to bad drilling job. Glass was not grounded well at the hole and the pressure point made it crack.

Tip to drill the glass, go slow rpm as you can dont put any pressure while drilling. Continues or ample water to cool down while drilling. Use quality hole saw. Use jig or stand to drill or be steady as possible. Properly drilled 1/2 inch thick glass would require 20 plus minutes of work time. Anything faster and it has some pressure applied while drilling. One will have a very nice grounded surface if the process is nicely done ie. slow and steady. HTH.

Aquavaj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is it just me or does it look like some kind of silicone or adhesive was used on the hole? It didn't crack while trying to remove the glued on bulkhead did it?

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Is it just me or does it look like some kind of silicone or adhesive was used on the hole? It didn't crack while trying to remove the glued on bulkhead did it?

It does!! Get a sharp razor out and scrape away. When done,clean area with rubbing alcohol and install bulkhead and begin your build and keep us posted

hdsoftail1065

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I see the silicone but it still looks like a pretty good crack. Won't the stress still jeopardize the integrity of the panel? I'm not a glass expert just asking the question. :)

DirtDiggler2823

If I can't break it, it doesn't exist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Replace the panel, and be sure you clean all the silicone off of the existing glass before trying to reseal it. Take your time, I cannot stress that enough. From what I'm learning, rushing anything in this hobby can be an expensive mistake. If you intend to drill your own glass, use a diamond coated bit, a jig, drill, plumbers putty, water, and lots of patience. That hole does look a bit ragged, so you'll want to avoid that from happening when you drill. There are a lot of DIYers on here who can provide advice to help you succeed, don't be shy about asking. Once again, take your time. Nothing good can come from rushing.

Greybeard

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome. 1st post, a cracked tank... not a good way to start, but welcome, all the same :)

I have to side with all of the others... that panel has to be replaced. Look at it this way... Worst case scenario. You silicone that crack, fill the tank, live rock, sand, salt water, corals, fishes... up and running for six months, or a year, and CRACK! Tank full of salt water and sand destroying the carpet and sub-flooring in your home, maybe the ceiling of the room below the tank... expensive electrical components flooded, stand probably trashed, all your investment in corals and fishes gone...

The glass box is not the bulk of the expense in a successful reef aquarium. The other components will far exceed the price of the tank. Don't start a build on anything less than a solid base.

OP
OP
B

Bdroid

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks everyone for the advice! I am going to search around the LA area for a quote to see how much it will be to replace the panel with the holes for the shadow overflow box. As for the silicone, I added that originally because I noticed a little droplet of water going into the overflow/exterior box before it even reached the top of the bulkhead...

The crack didn’t appear until i tried to move it into the house...since the crack is on top of the hole, I figured some silicone will prevent it from leaking through and the water pressure on top should not be a issue. The overflow/bulkhead should ideally be enough to secure that crack in place but like i said im new to this and it’s a learning curve for me at this point. Better to be safe than sorry...

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.7%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 42 36.5%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 35 30.4%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 27 23.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back