Need help with alkalinity stability in nano reef.

Bigbaby

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all, I have a 14g nano tank that I started dosing recently. Weekly water changes alone was not enough to fulfill the tanks needs. I started testing alk daily to monitor and dial in the dosage of Tropic Marin's All for Reef. Dosing frequency is currently 1ml, once per day. That amount keeps alk between 9.3~8.7. I am using the red sea test kit for values. The fluctuation or swing of alk on a daily basis ranges at most 0.6 dkh. In order to stabilize the swing a bit more, another reefer has suggested to split the dosing to 0.5ml twice per day. This should reduce the swing. Does anyone have any experience with these kind of swings in a mixed nano reef? With such a small water volume, I feel as though the swing is unavoidable compared to fluctuations in a larger tank with greater volume. I purchased 3 frags of sps to test in my tank. Is this a bad idea?

Retro Reefer

Slow and steady wins the race!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Splitting your dosage into multiple parts will help with stability however @ 1ml a day I wouldn’t worry about it at this point.. Make sure you test your Alk at the same time every day.

Im guessing your not ready for SPS yet, Tank needs to be mature and stable with ample coralline growth before introducing SPS for best results.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 12 33.3%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 7 19.4%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 3 8.3%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 5 13.9%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 8 22.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 2.8%
Back