Need help with an I'd!

saltyaquatic

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If anyone can help me with a recourse for eradication on this, It woulkd be highly appreciated. I have been battling this for some time and am about to pull my hair out.

Any info will be appreciated.
20131123_215003[1].jpg
20131123_214928[1].jpg
20131123_214948[1].jpg

OP
OP
S

saltyaquatic

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes. The substrate has become a dark grey to brown coloration on the outer ring of the tank. This seems to come and go with the extremity of the coloration. What confuses me is that around all my rocks it is white sand. I have tried turning my circulating pumps directly to the affected areas and it makes no difference. I run 2 Evergrow 120 watt bridgelux systems over my tank and have them 12" off the water. I have recently cut my light schedule back to 7 hrs a day and have cut back on size of feedings and seems to have got worse.

I'm at a loss.

ReeferMan420

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
More likely than not it is a diatom bloom or cyanobacteria. Best way to get rid of that is to siphon most of it up with pumps off to deter spore spread. Also when I had this is one of my friends tank I actually just removed the sand since like you, it never seemed to get better. Good luck and see if those may work for you.

ReeferMan420

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also what substrate are you using? Is the spread mushy and stringy? Or is it calcareous? Maybe it is plating coralline?

OP
OP
S

saltyaquatic

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Using dry aragonite for substrare. It's not stringy or calcerous. It seems like almost a dusting of dirt across the bottom. If I move the sand it's just along the top. I have cerith and nerite snails in abundance, but they seem to do nothing to it. I hate to remove sand for the tank is fully stocked, but I guess if I can't find the culprit soon i'll move everything and start anew.

OP
OP
S

saltyaquatic

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
More likely than not it is a diatom bloom or cyanobacteria. Best way to get rid of that is to siphon most of it up with pumps off to deter spore spread. Also when I had this is one of my friends tank I actually just removed the sand since like you, it never seemed to get better. Good luck and see if those may work for you.
Appreciate the responses Reefer! It's nice to know people are willing to help

OP
OP
S

saltyaquatic

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gonna keep the lights off for a couple days and see what happens. Will keep progress posted. Again thanks for the response.

Dylan J.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its diatoms, might want to invest in a sandsifting starfish or some sort of goby/sea cucumber to eat the stuff

OP
OP
S

saltyaquatic

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Already went there Dylan. The cucumber started to clean some of the sand and ended up on the rocks. been there for the past week. Thinking about looking for a blue spotted goby to join him.

OP
OP
S

saltyaquatic

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feed lrs and cyclops which i rinse with ro. Only feed once a day. Have used the brightwell bacter7 and it seems to have lightened the growth of it. Still not gone but gonna see what happens with the lightened light schedule and normal 10% weekly water changes do.

ReeferMan420

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love bacter7. It's a staple for my tank. Plus I like to use Prodibio as well. It seems to cut nuisance and weird algae all the time.

OP
OP
S

saltyaquatic

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank is looking better after the bacter7 usage. Will keep posted on further results. thanks for the feedback reefer.

OP
OP
S

saltyaquatic

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Reefer,

The bacter7 worked! Alas we have tore that tank down and have went to a 60 gallon cube. Atleast now I know what will work on cyano :) Hows the tanks doing for you?

Back