Need help with coral identification and placement

DeanoL

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone,

New to reef tanks here, only had mine for about 2 months. Have had some great stocking advice in another thread but am after some help identifying the few corals I have and figuring out their placement.

I think most of the ones in the photos below are LPS corals but apologies if I have some that aren't and I'm in the wrong thread.

20231013_180501.jpg

20231013_180455.jpg

20231013_180452.jpg

20231013_180448.jpg

20231013_180443.jpg

I think I know the names of 4 of them but coral 4 I can't remember. All I remember is the guy from the LFS said it likes to be in the sand.

Where do the others prefer? Sand or on rock? I think I read the elegance likes being on sand and to keep the torch away from others so I might glue that on a small rock I have so can move him away easily.

The others I had just sitting on rocks but have either been knocked off by fish, snails or the wavemaker.

I also have some red morphs which need to get glued down as well as a couple zoas and an acan I think it was called.

Thanks for any help, this total newbie is really appreciative!!!

Reefkeepers Archive

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone,

New to reef tanks here, only had mine for about 2 months. Have had some great stocking advice in another thread but am after some help identifying the few corals I have and figuring out their placement.

I think most of the ones in the photos below are LPS corals but apologies if I have some that aren't and I'm in the wrong thread.

20231013_180501.jpg

20231013_180455.jpg

20231013_180452.jpg

20231013_180448.jpg

20231013_180443.jpg

I think I know the names of 4 of them but coral 4 I can't remember. All I remember is the guy from the LFS said it likes to be in the sand.

Where do the others prefer? Sand or on rock? I think I read the elegance likes being on sand and to keep the torch away from others so I might glue that on a small rock I have so can move him away easily.

The others I had just sitting on rocks but have either been knocked off by fish, snails or the wavemaker.

I also have some red morphs which need to get glued down as well as a couple zoas and an acan I think it was called.

You got them all right, though coral #4 is also a torch, keep elegance away from anything, as they are very aggressive. Also keep elegance on sandbed. You can keep the hammers/torches/frogspawn on the sandbed but you can also put them on the lower rockwork, give them moderate flow, give them some space between eachother, as they can sting. Good luck

OP
OP
D

DeanoL

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also. Make sure #4 has a skeleton, if not than its a nem
Not really sure how to check if it has a skeleton...total newbie here...but I don't remember him saying anenome and I think I would have. Would there be another name for the type of torch it is?

You got them all right, though coral #4 is also a torch, keep elegance away from anything, as they are very aggressive. Also keep elegance on sandbed. You can keep the hammers/torches/frogspawn on the sandbed but you can also put them on the lower rockwork, give them moderate flow, give them some space between eachother, as they can sting. Good luck

Thanks for your reply. Glad I was able to remember the names. I didn't realise elegance was so aggressive, I'll find a good spot for it on the sandbed.

Is it aggressive just to other corals or also fish? Same for the others do they sting just corals or fish too.

One last question sorry, how big do they all get so I can figure out best places in the tank.

Thanks so much again

Reefkeepers Archive

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not really sure how to check if it has a skeleton...total newbie here...but I don't remember him saying anenome and I think I would have. Would there be another name for the type of torch it is?

Thanks for your reply. Glad I was able to remember the names. I didn't realise elegance was so aggressive, I'll find a good spot for it on the sandbed.

Is it aggressive just to other corals or also fish? Same for the others do they sting just corals or fish too.

One last question sorry, how big do they all get so I can figure out best places in the tank.

Thanks so much again
Unless your fish are under an inch then The only coral that can/will eat them would be an elephant ear mushroom, so just stay away from that one. The reply above has a good point, when you pick it up can you feel a hard disc the same size of the coral or does it have a branching like structure underneath the polyp. If it has a flat disc then keep it on the sandbed and give it space. Remember corals don't have a maximum size, they will grow indefinitely if maintained for that long, however they are very slow growers so it will be years before they get really big

tzabor10

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone,

20231013_180501.jpg

20231013_180455.jpg

20231013_180452.jpg

20231013_180448.jpg

20231013_180443.jpg

To get better pics, turn up the white lights and consider using an orange filter.
Akozon 55mm Camera Lens Filter, Full Color Lens Filter Optical Glass Digital Camera Filter for Nikon for Fujifilm 55mm Lens Filter (Orange)
https://a.co/d/j9eE3Uy

OP
OP
D

DeanoL

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's a better photo of number 4
20231014_082925.jpg

For placement I read frogspawn mid to top, whereas hammer bottom to mid. Is that correct?

The red ones were sold to me as red morph - is that a type of mushroom?

Thanks

Reefkeepers Archive

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
20231014_082925.jpg

For placement I read frogspawn mid to top, whereas hammer bottom to mid. Is that correct?

Thanks
Yep, that's a Heliofungia, low-moderare light, keep it on the sandbed, also give it alot of space. Frogspawn are also bottom to mid in a tank, did they sell the red morph to you as a mushroom? Anyway that's not the fish eating species. Those are beige in coloration and can get up to 2 feet in diameter if I remember correctly. Though I'd get it out from underneath the hammer

steveschuerger

I love Gonis and Euphyllia. Maybe too much
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
20231014_082925.jpg

Thanks
Here’s my frogs and hammers they’re all on the bottom, only 2 actually directly on sand. Hope it helps .
IMG_0565.jpeg

‘my torches are halfway up the right side as they like heavier flow and can handle pretty decent par levels.
IMG_0568.jpeg

Reefkeepers Archive

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
20231014_082925.jpg

Thanks
These are the kind of mushrooms to avoid, before you buy mushrooms, ask your LFS if it's an elephant ear. They can be hard to tell apart for beginners
Screenshot_20231013_174336_Samsung Internet.jpg
Screenshot_20231013_174431_Samsung Internet.jpg

Attachments

• Screenshot_20231013_174352_Samsung Internet.jpg
    Screenshot_20231013_174352_Samsung Internet.jpg
    61.3 KB · Views: 38

tzabor10

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here’s my frogs and hammers they’re all on the bottom, only 2 actually directly on sand. Hope it helps .
IMG_0565.jpeg

‘my torches are halfway up the right side as they like heavier flow and can handle pretty decent par levels.
IMG_0568.jpeg
I can appreciate putting Euphyllia on rocks. My sifting crew upsets every thing. Love the Goni Garden

Reefkeepers Archive

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone,

20231013_180501.jpg

20231013_180455.jpg

20231013_180452.jpg

20231013_180448.jpg

20231013_180443.jpg

Also, just so you know, those corals you got are NOT beginner corals, there are certain things you need to know as these species are very fragile. Here's what you need to know. Stability is key, I check my parameters every other day. You need to focus on calcium, alkalinity, phosphate and nitrate. Keep them as consistent as possible. Euphyllia and Fimbriaphyllia specifically are very susceptible to something known as brown jelly disease (BJD) this is identified by polyp recession and a brown jelly like substance on the head. Elegance are extremely sensitive so keep an eye on that one. If you want, then good beginner corals are leather corals, green star polyp, xenia, zoanthids, duncans and Blastomoussa. Good luck!

OP
OP
D

DeanoL

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also, just so you know, those corals you got are NOT beginner corals, there are certain things you need to know as these species are very fragile. Here's what you need to know. Stability is key, I check my parameters every other day. You need to focus on calcium, alkalinity, phosphate and nitrate. Keep them as consistent as possible. Euphyllia and Fimbriaphyllia specifically are very susceptible to something known as brown jelly disease (BJD) this is identified by polyp recession and a brown jelly like substance on the head. Elegance are extremely sensitive so keep an eye on that one. If you want, then good beginner corals are leather corals, green star polyp, xenia, zoanthids, duncans and Blastomoussa. Good luck!
Thanks for the info. The LFS said they were ok to have as my first corals just can't have SPS for a while.

Do I have a fimbriaphyllia or just euphyllia ?

I don't have a test for calcium or phosphate so will have to buy one. My other tests are red sea brand. Is that an ok brand for calcium and phosphate?

Thanks

Reefkeepers Archive

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the info. The LFS said they were ok to have as my first corals just can't have SPS for a while.

Do I have a fimbriaphyllia or just euphyllia ?

I don't have a test for calcium or phosphate so will have to buy one. My other tests are red sea brand. Is that an ok brand for calcium and phosphate?

Thanks
You have Fimbriaphyllia and euphyllia. Fimbriaphyllia are your hammers and frogspawn, while euphyllia are your torches. I highly recommend Red Sea calcium pro, it's what I use and is on point every time. The red sea phosphate test is tricky to use so I recommend the Hannah digital phosphate checker. You can do low range or ultra low range, just make sure you're using the right packets and follow the instructions. What are you dosing for alk/calcium in that setup?

OP
OP
D

DeanoL

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You have Fimbriaphyllia and euphyllia. Fimbriaphyllia are your hammers and frogspawn, while euphyllia are your torches. I highly recommend Red Sea calcium pro, it's what I use and is on point every time. The red sea phosphate test is tricky to use so I recommend the Hannah digital phosphate checker. You can do low range or ultra low range, just make sure you're using the right packets and follow the instructions. What are you dosing for alk/calcium in that setup?
Thanks for clarifying the corals and the advice on the tests. I'll look into getting them soon.

I haven't dosed anything for the tank and didn't realise that I needed to yet. I have put some copepods in the tank to try and get a population going and have just started a little bit of phyto each day for the copepods...... This was all mainly to build up pops for a late addition of a Mandarin

What do you suggest I need to dose?

Reefkeepers Archive

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for clarifying the corals and the advice on the tests. I'll look into getting them soon.

I haven't dosed anything for the tank and didn't realise that I needed to yet. I have put some copepods in the tank to try and get a population going and have just started a little bit of phyto each day for the copepods...... This was all mainly to build up pops for a late addition of a Mandarin

What do you suggest I need to dose?
You need to dose calcium and alkalinity, I use seachem fusion 1 and 2, but you can also use red sea. For seachem, you dose 1 capfull (10 ml) for every 65 gallons every other day, of course you need to test your water before dosing, or at least that's what i do to keep it stable. What I'd do to get a sense of where you want it is to dose your tank. Wait two hours then test your water. Calcium should be between 400-500, alkalinity should be between 7-14, the number you get is the highest your alk will be, two days later test it again, if it's stayed the same don't dose, if it's dropped 40 ppm on calcium or .4-.5 dkh on alk then do a half dose. If it's dropped 70 ppm calcium or 1-1.3 dkh alkalinity do a full dose, if it's anything lower dose on that scale, to raise levels add more than necessary, since you never dosed your levels are probably very low so you might need to dose 2x normal amount for a week, though test it first. LPS and SPS coral need alkalinity and calcium to build their skeleton and be able to grow, without it in high enough quantities your coral won't do so well. Good luck!

Edit: the above instructions were for seachem's fusion 1 and 2 two part dosing

OP
OP
D

DeanoL

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thankyou so much @Reefkeepers Archive for all your info. I have just ordered the calcium and phosphate tests so hope they arrive soon.

I got a few more corals and took some of your advice about green star polyps and leather corals.

20231022_104417.jpg

The one below was called a cookies and cream coral I think it's a type of leather?
20231022_104347.jpg

This next one is a leather too I think?

20231022_104408.jpg

And then a goni?
20231022_104355.jpg

Is there any particular placement that they prefer?

I also have an acan that's not looking great. Where do they like normally?

Thanks for your help

Reefkeepers Archive

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thankyou so much @Reefkeepers Archive for all your info. I have just ordered the calcium and phosphate tests so hope they arrive soon.

I got a few more corals and took some of your advice about green star polyps and leather corals.

20231022_104417.jpg

The one below was called a cookies and cream coral I think it's a type of leather?
20231022_104347.jpg

This next one is a leather too I think?

20231022_104408.jpg

And then a goni?
20231022_104355.jpg

Is there any particular placement that they prefer?

I also have an acan that's not looking great. Where do they like normally?

Thanks for your help
GSP can pretty much go anywhere, though keep in mind that they grow fast. The second one is a finger/devils hand leather, the 3rd one is a toadstool leather. Keep in mind that goniopora are extremely difficult to keep, you need to make sure your tank is extremely established before adding them. Good luck!

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 41 16.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 15 6.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 144 57.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 18 7.2%
Back