Need Help with Frag Tank Glass Thickness

Mochi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good day guys! Like the title states, I'm a beginner looking to set up my first frag tank and am concerned regarding glass thickness. The measurements for the tank I'm getting custom built is 3'x20"x14" using low iron, non-tempered glass. The tank would be brace-less/rimless with 4 holes drilled (2x1.5" & 2x1") on the back panel for plumbing the overflow and returns.

My current plan going forward is to install 2 MP10s for flow in the tank which from Ecotech's website states, is recommended for thickness up to 0.375 inches (9.5 mm). I've heard mixed opinions on other reefers running their MP10s on 10mm glass so would like to err on the safe side and go with 8mm instead.

With that being said, do you guys think 8mm would be safe for the tank size I have in mind? Or would 10mm, or even 12mm be a better option? (safety factor and all)

From what I could gather online, seems the thickness of the glass required is mainly affected by the height of the tank. Tried calculating the safety factor myself but there were too many factors which I don't understand to trust myself to get an accurate answer.

Love to hear what your thoughts/opinions on this matter is as I'm quite clueless when it comes to this. Cheers! :)

Koh23

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thicker is always better, of course, keep it realistic, 10mm is always better choice......

OP
OP
Mochi

Mochi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thicker is always better, of course, keep it realistic, 10mm is always better choice......
True, but if I go with thicker glass I would either have to shell out a lot more for the MP40s (which are quite overkill imo for my tank size) or run the risk of the MP10s not gripping properly.

Koh23

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If i understand your measurement, tank dimension is roughly 90x50x35 cm?

If 90 is length, 50 is width, and 35 is height, you can go with 6mm glass without problems.....

Yes height is most important part for calculating glass thickness, but also width.... In these dimensions you are safe with either 6 or 8 mm glass....

If height is 50cm, then go to 8mm glass.....

38bill

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Even though its a frag tank are you set on no wires in the tank? I'm running 2 AI Nero 3's on glass that is slightly thicker than 10mm and they stick very well. The Nero price is good too.

OP
OP
Mochi

Mochi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If i understand your measurement, tank dimension is roughly 90x50x35 cm?

If 90 is length, 50 is width, and 35 is height, you can go with 6mm glass without problems.....

Yes height is most important part for calculating glass thickness, but also width.... In these dimensions you are safe with either 6 or 8 mm glass....

If height is 50cm, then go to 8mm glass.....
Alright thanks for your advise! Yeah the measurements you mentioned is what I currently have in mind (35cm height).

Even though its a frag tank are you set on no wires in the tank? I'm running 2 AI Nero 3's on glass that is slightly thicker than 10mm and they stick very well. The Nero price is good too.
Hey there! Not an absolute must to have no wires in the tank (although wireless would be nice for aesthetics haha..). Alright thanks for your suggestion, I've heard of these wavemakers before but have yet to do any research on them. Price wise seems like a good middle ground between cost and value. Could you share the placement locations for them in your setup?

Koh23

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If its not too much price difference, go with 8mm.....

38bill

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alright thanks for your advise! Yeah the measurements you mentioned is what I currently have in mind (35cm height).

Hey there! Not an absolute must to have no wires in the tank (although wireless would be nice for aesthetics haha..). Alright thanks for your suggestion, I've heard of these wavemakers before but have yet to do any research on them. Price wise seems like a good middle ground between cost and value. Could you share the placement locations for them in your setup?
I have a 60g cube (24" X 24" X 24") Both Nero 3's are facing forward on the back glass running at about 55%.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 35 25.2%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 47 33.8%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 43 30.9%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 10 7.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.9%
Back