Need help with Kalkwasser please

LesPoissons

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys,
I have a 220G aquarium and a 30g ato, but the ato is fitted under my stand and isnt really accessible to open, add powder, mix etc. I can remove the top and run my rodi line into it to refill, but thats about it. My tank evaporates 2g a day. I am looking into kalkwasser to stabilize my alk and ph but I dont think I want it to go into my ato since I cant clean the sludge off the bottom etc. Can I do a dripper for such a large tank? Should the dripper go into the ato or the sump? Or should I just get like a dosing pump and do a 2 part? My needs are low- ca is used at 1.5/day, alk is .145, mag is 4.5.
Tank is 4 years old and stayed stable with water changes. Now bigger corals, bigger demand, and im new to the dosing scene. Also trying to reduce water changes from every 2 weeks to 4-6. Thoughts? Thanks!

crawling junk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
i run kalk separate. I use dosing pump and 4 gallon container. On 60g cube it lasts me about 6 days. dosing fully saturated kalk using DOS at 900 ml for 24 hours. it keeps ph stable but still have to manually dose alk. Thinking of switching to 2 part soon

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you do a kalk drip, it needs to go into your sump or display, not the ATO.

I would recommend a dosing type setup to add kalk to your system. For example, I use an aqua lifter pump on a light timer to pump kalk from a 6 gallon bucket to my sump.

Montiman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is no reason why you can't use a dripper but my preferred kalk dosing method is a rector with a peristaltic pump. With the reactor you can add kalk to the reactor in your sump area and your ATO container will stay clean. The peristaltic pump will let you dial in the dosage separate from from your evap rate so you don't get seasonal variations or other problems. I also find that I can go 3-5 weeks between adding kalk to the reactor which makes the set up much lower maintenance.

ReefGeezer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use a dosing pump and a 5 gallon bucket on my 90 gallon. It is separate from the ATO because evaporation fluctuates in my system. My system takes over 1000 ML a day to maintain alk. Your tank may take more. The container holding the lime water might need to be much larger reduce mixing tasks. Remember, dosing pumps can normally move small amounts of water a long way. You could put a container somewhere out of sight and pump it to your sump.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 46 34.8%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 28 21.2%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.6%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.6%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 34 25.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back