Need Help With KalkWasser Reactor

FruiTee

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So i ended up getting a Reef Octopus Kr140 Kalkwasser Reactor that has never been used by the owner it came in its box clean and sealed, so it was a very lucky find for me since i paid a very good price. its rated for up to 1000 Litres, now i am pretty new to using kalkwasser so im wondering what way would be the best to set it up

As you can see in the one drawing i don't have the outlet of the Reactor hooked up to the dosing pump because the inlet where the Freshwater gets pumped into will probably force the same amount of water out and gravity will do its thing

The other drawing is having the outlet hooked up to the dosing pump as well but wont this affect the lifespan of the dosing pump since Kalkwasser is very hard on pumps?

in the reactor theres a long acrylic tube that goes down to the bottom of the reactor if this is plugged into a dosing pump what are the chances of having a back siphon happen

The reactors pump that mixes the kalkwasser i should probably have this on a timer to mix 2 hours a day then switch off right? then time how long it takes to settle again and then have my Doser start Dosing again

what would also be best my tanks Ph sits at 8.2-8.3 during the Day, i lose 0.5 Dkh a day and my tanks litre rating is 550 Litres after rock displacement and this includes sump water amount
should i dose 24/7 or only dose at night? and how many ml can i start on, obviously this will be a blanket statement since every tank is different and i need to test how the kalk affects my tank before i can say i'm dosing 10ml a hour or whatever

Kalk Drawing.png Kalk Drawing.png 20200705_104103.jpg 20200705_104106.jpg

laverda

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You want to hook it up like your first drawing. If your using a true dosing pump back flushing should not be an issue as long as the tubing in the doser is replaced every so often. You can add a check valve in the supply water line for safety. When you dose is up to you I like to dose several times at night. I do several smaller doses to keep PH stable. My guess is if you stirred it once after lights out then started dosing 15 min later that should be enough stirring for the night. How much you need to dose is impossible to know. Are you using a calcium reactor or dosing two part now? Do you have a lot of SPS and clams? If so you may need to dose a lot. If not 10ml may be to much. Start with a small dose and check for PH swing and monitor your Alkalinity level over a few days, adjusting as you go. Stability is key. Good luck!

Back