Need help with my Blue Iceberg Acro

A Beard

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Need help trying to figure out whats going on with one of my acros. It looks like the tissue is peeling off. All parameters are in check and everything else is growing and has good polyp extension. Tank has Acros, Montis, Hammer, Torches, Leathers, Clove Polys, Blastos, and others and this is the only one that is showing any signs of stress. Got the frag in the WWC live sale a month ago.

Flow and light are not an issue as I am running an MP40 and MP10 and a Kessil AP700 for a Red Sea 250. Thanks for any help

Parameters - Been stable around these values.
Temp - 78F
Alk - 9.7
Ph. 8.1
Nitrates - 0 ppm
Phosphates - 0 ppm
Calcium - 450 ppm
Magnesium 1330 ppm
Salt - Tropic Marine Pro

1573441550682.png

BusyB

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Kessils ap700's do not put out as much light as you may think. I have had issues with these lights. I needed to add a few T5's to get the job done. I have also had a lot of issues with using Tropic Marine Pro. I believe that this salt is very high in trace elements. When I was using this salt, I was loosing a piece or a colony every time I did a water change.

HB AL

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
People say with a high alk and 0 nitrate and 0 phosphate that it leads to issues especially with Acros, I would start there by dropping the alk some and getting the nitrates and phosphates to atleast detectable levels. I keep my alk between 7 and 8 and nitrates vary between 10 and 20, phosphates I don’t test for, this is in a very high bioload system.

divewsharks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The only issue I had with my AP700's is shading. They grew SPS great, to the point I had to add T5s to address the shading caused by upper corals.
I also believe lots of lighting options work, I focus on flow and nutrients for the corals (and fish) to consume.

As mentioned, 0 PO4 and 0 NO3 is would I would look at.

OP
OP
A

A Beard

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks. I was running Phosguard and Carbon and I removed those yesterday to try and increase the NO3s and the PO4s I don't have a shadowing issue yet as my corals have not had a chance to grow out yet.

Would it be worth while to turn the skimmer off to get the nutrients up?

Charlie’s Frags

Follow me on Instagram @Charlies Frags
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Kessils ap700's do not put out as much light as you may think. I have had issues with these lights. I needed to add a few T5's to get the job done. I have also had a lot of issues with using Tropic Marine Pro. I believe that this salt is very high in trace elements. When I was using this salt, I was loosing a piece or a colony every time I did a water change.
I’ve been using tmpro for at least 13 years and never had an issue like that. Here is an Icp analysis of a freshly made batch of tmpro. The salinity is a little high but that was user error.

61659FD3-1EC0-4CE8-B7EB-11ED048CD46F.png

BusyB

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve been using tmpro for at least 13 years and never had an issue like that. Here is an Icp analysis of a freshly made batch of tmpro. The salinity is a little high but that was user error.

61659FD3-1EC0-4CE8-B7EB-11ED048CD46F.png
You're lucky, i was very nervous to do water changes while this was happening. I stopped doing water changes for 8 months until I put together it was the salt. I talked to Brandon Wear from fraghouse and he had a lot of issues with this salt as well. My local buddy and Mike Biggar as well had issues with this salt. I switched to red sea blue bucket, now i do weekly water changes with no issues. I will never use Tropic marine pro again.

LadyTang2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You're lucky, i was very nervous to do water changes while this was happening. I stopped doing water changes for 8 months until I put together it was the salt. I talked to Brandon Wear from fraghouse and he had a lot of issues with this salt as well. My local buddy and Mike Biggar as well had issues with this salt. I switched to red sea blue bucket, now i do weekly water changes with no issues. I will never use Tropic marine pro again.
Do you imagine the TM pro reef would be better or do you not trust TM at all?

Charlie’s Frags

Follow me on Instagram @Charlies Frags
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those same 2 guys scared me also. I wasn’t having any problems with tmp but decided to try the blue bucket and lost 2 mini colonies. So I’m back to tmp. Crazy hobby huh!!!

Back