Need Help with my first frag swap

BfishLpond78

F.U.P.A.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So a guy in our state puts on a big frag swap every year geared toward hobbyist and encourages us to bring our stuff to sell to other folks. Since i'm not a commerical seller and this is just for fun and to basically make money to go spend at the big time guys that come to the show. A few of us are pooling our corals together to set up a tank.

We only have a few things so far.

AIO 17x17x6 acrylic frag tank
Frag rack for 100 corals

What heater do you guys recommend?
Small circulation pump? Maxi-Jet 400 or 600?
Should we put a small bag of carbon in one of the chambers?
Whats a good LED light to use? I will re-use this light over my refugium at home.

What other odds and ends should I try and have on hand?

Thanks in advance,

-Mike (B Fish)

-Logzor

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You'll want a pump that will give decent flow but not cause too much turbulence, this way people can actually see your corals from the top down view, same goes with the light, it should not obstruct the view. So a clip-on LED light might be a good choice since rigging a hanging system is a lot more onerous. Running carbon is a great idea, keeps the coral warfare chemicals in check.

Small heater should suffice.

You'll want a few towels and extra water, if you sell enough frags your display might run out! I recommend using small frag bags like vendors use for corals opposed to tupperware or foam containers. The baggies seal way better.

OP
OP
BfishLpond78

BfishLpond78

F.U.P.A.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You'll want a pump that will give decent flow but not cause too much turbulence, this way people can actually see your corals from the top down view, same goes with the light, it should not obstruct the view. So a clip-on LED light might be a good choice since rigging a hanging system is a lot more onerous. Running carbon is a great idea, keeps the coral warfare chemicals in check.

Small heater should suffice.

You'll want a few towels and extra water, if you sell enough frags your display might run out! I recommend using small frag bags like vendors use for corals opposed to tupperware or foam containers. The baggies seal way better.

Do you think like one of those Par 38 bulbs would suffice? If so do you recommend any?

The tank is only 7 Gallons so I assume a nano style heater would be good.

I have a bunch of specimen cups, by buddy works in the medical field and they switched their style cups so he has a like a box of 1000 he's trying to get rid of. I will also keep the baggies on hand for larger SPS pieces. I ordered some of the 3mil bags from uline.

-Logzor

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The PAR 38 should be perfect.

Yes on the nano style heater, you don't want to overheat the tank or pull too much electricity if it's not needed.

The specimen cups are great, those are made not to leak.

You might also need a nano powerhead, full up the tank and test some powerheads, you want to be able to see the corals from top-down while the flow is still going, otherwise you'll have trouble selling corals if people can't immediately see them. Having to turn off the pumps every time someone walks by would be a hassle.

Do you think like one of those Par 38 bulbs would suffice? If so do you recommend any?

The tank is only 7 Gallons so I assume a nano style heater would be good.

I have a bunch of specimen cups, by buddy works in the medical field and they switched their style cups so he has a like a box of 1000 he's trying to get rid of. I will also keep the baggies on hand for larger SPS pieces. I ordered some of the 3mil bags from uline.

Last edited:
OP
OP
BfishLpond78

BfishLpond78

F.U.P.A.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you know if there is a 2 channel Par 38? I mean we all know blue sells, but there are those that want to see it under different lighting.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 38 24.1%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 54 34.2%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 47 29.7%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 15 9.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.5%
Back