Need help with nepthea

Seachelle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, just a few days ago I got a Japanese pink nepthea. I removed it from the frag plug and glued it to a new plug because I wanted to skip the coral QT (which is having issues RN) and put it straight into my display tank. It came unglued from the plug, so I reglued it thinking I didn't use enough glue or didn't hold it to the plug long enough. Well today it's off the plug again, but this time it's like the stalk has retracted. There's only the top bushy part, and where there was about a half inch stalk is a rounded stump. I tried to put it in the sand, but there's really not enough stalk for it to stand on. What should I do? It's currently on it's side in the sand. Should I put it in a Tupperware with some coral rubble? Will the stalk come back? Picture isn't great but I think you can see the nubbin of a stalk. Halp!

20220509_164544.jpg

Ulee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What should I do? It's currently on it's side in the sand. Should I put it in a Tupperware with some coral rubble? Will the stalk come back?
Hello, yes..a Tupperware with rubble will do the trick, a few days until it attaches, and about a week until it's very solid on new plug. If u can stand it up as much as possible or on its side ...Glue doesn't really work with these guys, be patient as it may not attach itself immediately. The stalk will grow back, they tend to shribble up when disturbed , best of luck

OP
OP
Seachelle

Seachelle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, yes..a Tupperware with rubble will do the trick, a few days until it attaches, and about a week until it's very solid on new plug. If u can stand it up as much as possible or on its side ...Glue doesn't really work with these guys, be patient as it may not attach itself immediately. The stalk will grow back, they tend to shribble up when disturbed , best of luck
Thank you! I really don't want to lose this one!

DeniseAndy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would avoid the rubber band trick. Some leathers will just not respond and split and get infection. I have done it, some do okay, others do not. I would not risk it with one of these. Just take a small tupperware bowl, put in a bunch of rubble and set the tree in the middle. Keep it fairly low flow so it can attach. It can sit on the bottom of the tank for now, but if you have a rack, midway up is good too.
Good luck!

OP
OP
Seachelle

Seachelle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would avoid the rubber band trick. Some leathers will just not respond and split and get infection. I have done it, some do okay, others do not. I would not risk it with one of these. Just take a small tupperware bowl, put in a bunch of rubble and set the tree in the middle. Keep it fairly low flow so it can attach. It can sit on the bottom of the tank for now, but if you have a rack, midway up is good too.
Good luck!
I don't want to take any risks with this coral, so I'll just put it in a Tupperware without a rubber band. I'd probably just mess that up! Thanks!

OP
OP
Seachelle

Seachelle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't want to take any risks with this coral, so I'll just put it in a Tupperware without a rubber band. I'd probably just mess that up! Thanks!
My Koji adhered to the coral rubble and I'm ready to place it higher in my tank! Do you know how tall these ultimately get? Thanks!

HudsonReefer2.0

Algae Happens
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

sfin52

So many pedestrians so little time
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agree small plastic dish with rubble in a low flow zone. It will attach in about 3 days. Cant go wrong.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 34 31.2%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 23.9%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 19.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 25.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back