need help with new 60-gallon

crocodile receptionist

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone,
I am fairly new to the hobby, and I would like to learn as much as possible so I can raise my chances for success. I previously had a freshwater tank for years and about 6 months ago I decided it was time to start saltwater, becasue I like a challenge. I had converted my old tank which is a 20-gallon tank to saltwater. I gave my friend all of the freshwater fish. I have had my 20-gallon saltwater tank running for about 3 months and then I decided that if I was going to put in all the time and effort I would like a bigger tank so the water parameters would not fluctuate as much. A couple of days ago I purchased a 60-gallon tank. I have an aqua clear 110 hang on the back filter running on it right now, with nature ocean live sand, also I am using RODI water. I don't have enough space to have both tanks running for a long time so, I am planning on in around a week to add my Orchid Dottyback and 2 ocellaris clownfish to the 60-gallon tank. I also made the mistake of buying a LTA too early, I know this was a bad mistake but I can't do anything about it now and I have learned. i have around 12 pounds of live rock in the 20 gallon and I just got 10 more pounds of live rock. Does anyone have any tips on how I should approach this becasue there is not a lot of info on transferring aquariums? Thanks!!!

Raz’s Reefing

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The move should be rather easy, I would treat the fish as if I am bringing them home from the store. Drip acclimate them and there shouldn’t be a problem.
You will want to cycle the new tank before moving any fish into it though. I’ve seen anywhere from one week to two months of cycle time. Typically this depends on what bacteria you use. Since you are using live rock and sand it will help cut that cycle time down a little.
During this cycle time you should leave the old tank with its rock up and running, only putting the new rock into the new tank. When you’re new tank is fully cycled and ready for fish move the rock first, then drip the fish.
I’m not sure what kind of aquascape you are going for but you may consider getting more rock. From my experience and what I’ve read 22lbs would be a little light for a 60 gal. Unless you are going for a look with more open space.

I am no expert so I would love to have someone else chime in as well. Good luck with the move, I’m sure you’re excited to get that new tank up and running!

DaddyFish

“5 percenter”
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Depending on your planned bioload/fish count, you may not have enough filtration with the AquaClear 110 HOB for 60-gal saltwater. I would want to significantly upgrade filtration.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 35 25.9%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 45 33.3%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 42 31.1%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 9 6.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back