Need help with new type of algae (for me)

Chris Kunz

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I having been trying to figure out what type of algae this is, and what I need to do about it. If you look close it’s kind of brown and looks like a bunch of tiny little feathers? If I leave the lights off for a week it goes away, but comes back within a day or two of turning them back on. I can clean the sand and stir it up to make it look clean, but once again it will come back in a day or two. I am wondering if this is something I need to just leave alone and let it burn itself out since my tank is new, or if this is something I need to find a way to treat so it does not take over. I have had the thank go though a few other phases that burned themselves out, so I am ok with doing that here if that is what I should do. I tried to read google for a bit, but am still unsure of what this is.

Any help is greatly appreciated.
20210408_132908.jpg
20210408_132913.jpg

Tank info:
200 gal IM EXT

Icecap 48 XXL sump

~200 gal total water

Tank was set up in early November, fishless cycle, started adding two fish at a time in Dec. Current stock:

2 Chocolate clowns

1 mimic tang

1 foxface

7 trochus snails

4 nassarius snails

2 fire shrimp

1 purple firefish

1 Orchid dottyback

1 Fairy Wrasse

I have also added a few pods and used ARC coralline algae

I have 4 T5 bulbs that have been going for ~4m now in a T5/LED hybrid fixture. I have not added any of the LED lights yet. I plan to add 4 XR15’s when its time to add coral. I run the lights 6 hours a day.

I currently use Tropic Marine Pro for my salt and do 4 gal AWC over 2 hrs every night.

I started dosing 2 part in January

Current parameters

Alk 6.89

Ca 459

Mg 1331

Nitrate 2

Phosphate 0

Sal 35

Ph 7.94-8.03 (7 day high and low)

Temp 79-77.7 (7 day high and low)

Pico bam

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Honestly no clue what it is. But I'm sure a few strawberry conch's would clear it up in a day. Good luck!

OP
OP
C

Chris Kunz

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have never had one of those. If it has not cleared up by the next time I order fish I will try a few, thanks!

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Looks like a diatomic hair algae combination known as calothrix. Simply reduce white light intensity and siphon as best as you can. These species of cyano often appear as a light slimy yet hairy/fuzzy nastiness that loosely attaches to your rock work or bedding. At times, air bubbles are usually trapped while escaping the algae. Calothrix is a type of algae that looks very similar to Dinos.
Chitons, and snails such as Nerite, cerith, nassarius, margarita and trochus will help with this. 6-8 carribean blue leg hermits will also help. Add 1.5ml of liquid bacteria per 10 gallons daily for 7-10 days will help as will turning out lights for 5-7 days

Fish Think Pink

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I having been trying to figure out what type of algae this is, and what I need to do about it. If you look close it’s kind of brown and looks like a bunch of tiny little feathers? If I leave the lights off for a week it goes away, but comes back within a day or two of turning them back on. I can clean the sand and stir it up to make it look clean, but once again it will come back in a day or two. I am wondering if this is something I need to just leave alone and let it burn itself out since my tank is new, or if this is something I need to find a way to treat so it does not take over. I have had the thank go though a few other phases that burned themselves out, so I am ok with doing that here if that is what I should do. I tried to read google for a bit, but am still unsure of what this is.

Any help is greatly appreciated.
20210408_132908.jpg
20210408_132913.jpg

Tank info:
200 gal IM EXT

Icecap 48 XXL sump

~200 gal total water

Tank was set up in early November, fishless cycle, started adding two fish at a time in Dec. Current stock:

2 Chocolate clowns

1 mimic tang

1 foxface

7 trochus snails

4 nassarius snails

2 fire shrimp

1 purple firefish

1 Orchid dottyback

1 Fairy Wrasse

I have also added a few pods and used ARC coralline algae

I have 4 T5 bulbs that have been going for ~4m now in a T5/LED hybrid fixture. I have not added any of the LED lights yet. I plan to add 4 XR15’s when its time to add coral. I run the lights 6 hours a day.

I currently use Tropic Marine Pro for my salt and do 4 gal AWC over 2 hrs every night.

I started dosing 2 part in January

Current parameters

Alk 6.89

Ca 459

Mg 1331

Nitrate 2

Phosphate 0

Sal 35

Ph 7.94-8.03 (7 day high and low)

Temp 79-77.7 (7 day high and low)
Check out this link and post #10... and then tell me if you photo is a near match (just less) than photo in post #10...

Diatoms are just a natural things that happens in a new aquarium and will normally will subside with in a few weeks to a couple months.

ID: This Algae normally forms on the sand, glass and rock work of a new tank. It has a variety of colors from a dark reddish color to tan, brown and green. On a lot of occasions there will be oxygen bubble's trapped in the algae from photosynthesis.

HOW TO CONTROL IT:
Medium to strong flow across the sand bed and rock, and watch the amounts of Silicate being added to the system ( top off water and water change purity is the main cause for silicate being introduced to the system )

NATURAL HERBIVORES:
Astrea snail, Turbo snail, Tangs, Trochus snail, Almost all blennies.

saltyhog

blowing bubbles somewhere
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you have access to a microscope a video would be ideal to ID.

How old is your tank? Does the algae go away at night when the lights are out?

OP
OP
C

Chris Kunz

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So a quick update. I didn't change the lights on the tank, but I did leave the room lights off a little more than I used to. I also added a lawnmower blenny (not because of this). After that it went away a few days after my last post and hasn't seemed to come back. So I am not sure what it was, or what resolved it, but it seems to be gone at least for now.

OP
OP
C

Chris Kunz

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't think it was diatoms because I think I went though a diatom bloom a few months ago. If this was diatoms it looked different than what was there a few months ago and I identified that one wrong.

OP
OP
C

Chris Kunz

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I jinxed it. It seemed to be gone then came back worse then ever pretty much over night. It does look very similar to post #10 above. I am not sure how new silicates could be getting into my system however. I use RO/DI water and make sure it is always 0 TDS. My saltwater has always been tropic marine pro, so no change there. I have my two gyres turned up as far as I can get them, but I do feel like I need stronger flow down the road.

If it is diatoms should I just turn the lights off for a while, or let it burn itself out to get rid of whatever silicates could have gotten in there? Is there anything else I should consider or you guys would recommend? I don't have any corals in there yet because I was trying to work through all this stuff before I added them (thank goodness!) Also, this only is forming on the sand, and has not touched the rocks at all.

OP
OP
C

Chris Kunz

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The tank is ~6 months old. I do not believe that the algae goes away when the lights are out, but I can double check in the morning before the lights come on.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 57 40.7%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 29 20.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 49 35.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.6%
Back