OP
OP
dieselkeeper

dieselkeeper

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Still fighting. Phosphates went down to 0.01 nitrates at 10.8. Fed frozen food for a couple of days to get phosphates up and the cyano seem to explode. Seems like a vicious cycle.

jackson6745

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Still fighting. Phosphates went down to 0.01 nitrates at 10.8. Fed frozen food for a couple of days and the cyano seem to explode. Seems like a vicious cycle.

Get sustain po4 levels much higher and cyano will go away. Feed reef roids 3x per week. Your cyano will go away seeming overnight. Levels have to be sustained though. They can't go 0.0. Test po4 in the morning before feeding, this is your sustained level. I would suggest no less than .07 in an SPS tank. You po4 level will spike over .1 though the day after fish feedings. If your tank starts going down to .01-.03 small cyano patches will always be present. Be vigilant on chasing these numbers and your cyano is gone.

OP
OP
dieselkeeper

dieselkeeper

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Still no change. Did the h2o2 test twice to confirm its more than likely spirulina. I don't wanna do it but gonna treat with Chemi clean. Thanks for all the advice.

PocketGoose

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just a thought here and this is purely anecdotal evidence..

I recently started dosing live phytoplankton which in turn has bolstered my pod population as well as add some competition in the microbial battlefield (I'm assuming). I would say I've been dealing with a "medium" infestation (I speculate it is spirulina) which to my eyes has slowly improved. At the very least you'll just be feeding your inhabitants the good stuff!

Just a thought.

OP
OP
dieselkeeper

dieselkeeper

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just a thought here and this is purely anecdotal evidence..

I recently started dosing live phytoplankton which in turn has bolstered my pod population as well as add some competition in the microbial battlefield (I'm assuming). I would say I've been dealing with a "medium" infestation (I speculate it is spirulina) which to my eyes has slowly improved. At the very least you'll just be feeding your inhabitants the good stuff!

Just a thought.
I have a melanurus wrasse that is always on the hunt for food. I don't see any pods in the tank at night. He fights 5 tangs for nori. He probably needs to go so the tank can have pods again.

musel101

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
its-going-to-take-time-danny-roberts.gif

OP
OP
dieselkeeper

dieselkeeper

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did one treatment of chemi clean, and hasn't come back yet. I think I'm getting this from the frozen food I'm using.

Jimbo662

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feel your pain. I was battling cyano for months and months. Lots of water changes with no results. I'd started a treatment I found on here where you use a bag of chemi-clean and dose Hydrogen Peroxide after lights out and MB7 in the morning. I finally started seeing results after several weeks. One evening there was a power spike that tripped a GFCI outlet that my powerhead controller was plugged into. Didn't notice until late the next afternoon when I got home from work. I'm assuming there was a lack of oxygen because I lost 8 out of 9 fish and half a dozen corals. The sand had turned from the pink / purple to brown. Over the next 3 days I did 4 water changes. When this happened I had stopped the peroxide but continued the MB7 and I also dose phyto every day (added a bottle of pods after the water changes). After a week the sand was pink again but nowhere near the extent it had been. I added a new bag of chemi-clean the Saturday before last. As of today the sand is almost completely clear. There are a few small areas around the tank. Hopefully it clears completely. I also feed frozen cubes but never thought about it causing the issue.

OP
OP
dieselkeeper

dieselkeeper

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feel your pain. I was battling cyano for months and months. Lots of water changes with no results. I'd started a treatment I found on here where you use a bag of chemi-clean and dose Hydrogen Peroxide after lights out and MB7 in the morning. I finally started seeing results after several weeks. One evening there was a power spike that tripped a GFCI outlet that my powerhead controller was plugged into. Didn't notice until late the next afternoon when I got home from work. I'm assuming there was a lack of oxygen because I lost 8 out of 9 fish and half a dozen corals. The sand had turned from the pink / purple to brown. Over the next 3 days I did 4 water changes. When this happened I had stopped the peroxide but continued the MB7 and I also dose phyto every day (added a bottle of pods after the water changes). After a week the sand was pink again but nowhere near the extent it had been. I added a new bag of chemi-clean the Saturday before last. As of today the sand is almost completely clear. There are a few small areas around the tank. Hopefully it clears completely. I also feed frozen cubes but never thought about it causing the issue.
I tested what I thought was cyano, was actually spirulina. Only way to treat this is to use Chemiclean

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 37 15.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 135 58.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 16 6.9%
Back