Need help with powerhead

Hepatitis

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm setting up a 40g breeder as a mixed reef tank. Looking for what powerheads would work best in the tank. I want 2 so that I can create a bit of turbulence in the water, but not overpower the corals. What is recommended here as far as brands to buy, and brands to avoid? And how do I calculate how much gph I'm going to need? I plan on starting with some inverts and live rock/sand, maybe add some clownfish as well.

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tunze makes very good, reliable and relatively cheap powerheads. You can either look at something like a fixed speed (Nanostream 6015, etc.) or one where you can adjust the flow (Nanostream 6040, etc.) You could also look at something like an AI Nero3 - but these are more expensive.

Ideally you want flow somewhere in the range of 10-20x your tank volume, but this also depends on a lot of things like placement, direction, your rockscape, what kind of corals you plan to introduce (some like less flow than others), etc. With a pair of wavemakers you’d want 5-10x flow max on each.

You pay more for features like controllable wavemakers and wireless connectivity, so ultimately it comes down to budget.

OP
OP
H

Hepatitis

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tunze makes very good, reliable and relatively cheap powerheads. You can either look at something like a fixed speed (Nanostream 6015, etc.) or one where you can adjust the flow (Nanostream 6040, etc.) You could also look at something like an AI Nero3 - but these are more expensive.

Ideally you want flow somewhere in the range of 10-20x your tank volume, but this also depends on a lot of things like placement, direction, your rockscape, what kind of corals you plan to introduce (some like less flow than others), etc. With a pair of wavemakers you’d want 5-10x flow max on each.

You pay more for features like controllable wavemakers and wireless connectivity, so ultimately it comes down to budget.
Those are a touch out of my price range at the moment for the one I would want, but I do love the 6040. The directional stuff it does looks great.

I'd be worried because those seem like a really.... confined? Or narrow stream. Will something like that give good circulation and current to the tank as a whole?

Rmckoy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For lower budget ranges I’d recommend jeabo .

their pumps are cheaper ,some will say they might not last as long as other
But I have had good luck so far with them .
I am not able to suggest a model as my smallest system where I used wave makers/power heads was a 90 gal

I believe the models are sw or rw ?
someone else might be able to correct me .

@CanuckReefer

CanuckReefer

Simple...Salt, Water, LR, Lighting and Flow.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I am not able to suggest a model as my smallest system where I used wave makers/power heads was a 90 gal

@CanuckReefer
Yep, thats them! Mine are SW 10 I believe in a 90, pointed either side. Nice little mini wavemakers for price.

OP
OP
H

Hepatitis

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

@CanuckReefer
I was looking at the Hydor Koralia 1350 GPH 3rd Generation powerheads. I know they're not selling in the US anymore from what I can tell, but they seem to have great reviews and I found 2 for $60 a pop.

Think these will suit my needs?

MONTANTK

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
AI Nero 3 is expensive but probably some of the best value. I’ve seen good reviews on the ice cap gyres as well but never used one. Cheaper power heads like the koralias are nice but they don’t do a very good job of creating a current. They just blow water

OP
OP
H

Hepatitis

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cool. I think I'll look around the ones posted to this thread and grab 2 cheap ones then save up for a nice one.

In the future, are wavemaker powerheads better? And what's the real advantage to those vs a standard one?

Dbichler

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just purchased 2 Jebao mow 22s which is the biggest they offer and put out way may than my mp40s and for a 1/4 of the price. On a 40 you wouldn’t need a the large 22 but they are like 80 each for the size you would want.

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 33 29.7%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 28 25.2%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 22.5%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 24 21.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back