Need help with proper sump water level

lagnew904

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a new setup Fiji cube 32 EXT with the Fiji 12 advance sump. I have my overflow tuned almost correctly (small tweaks to be made today). I need help determining the proper sump level so I can install my ATO. Currently I have the sump set when pump is off it fills roughly 1.5 inches from the top without spilling. I don't have a stand pipe on the main of the overflow so its draining the whole box. I may add 1 or 2'' standpipe as I'm getting intermittent vortex on the main line.

My main water chamber is set at 7'' with a small audible trickle into the return chamber. I'd say the return chamber is about 1'' lower than the main water height . This was originally done to reduce noise but I'm not sure if its the correct level. Should the return be substantially lower than the main and have a constant audible flow? At the height I have it now wouldn't leave much room for ATO level sensors.

I can add or subtract water if needed. I don't have a picture of it right now since I'm at work but I will post one when I get home. I attached a stock photo of the sump for reference to chambers.

sump2.JPG sump3.JPG

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Currently I have the sump set when pump is off it fills roughly 1.5 inches from the top without spilling.
This is fine
The main water chamber is set at 7'' with a small audible trickle into the return chamber. I'd say the return chamber is about 1'' lower than the main water height .
This is also good.

As long as the sump does not overflow from drain back.
And
The return pump does not run dry, you are good.

howaboutme

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just put the same sump online. The water line baffle you set to 7" really dictates how much water should be in the return chamber. Ideally, both champers should be similar. However, in tweaking things I found that a slight "waterfall" (very slight) is ideal. During evaporation, I will get a bit more until the ATO kicks in. The big thing is you have the volume correct in that your sump can hold the water from the back flow. The rest is dialing it in.

OP
OP
lagnew904

lagnew904

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just put the same sump online. The water line baffle you set to 7" really dictates how much water should be in the return chamber. Ideally, both champers should be similar. However, in tweaking things I found that a slight "waterfall" (very slight) is ideal. During evaporation, I will get a bit more until the ATO kicks in. The big thing is you have the volume correct in that your sump can hold the water from the back flow. The rest is dialing it in.
Awesome thanks for the info. I'll adjust it a hair when I get home to make sure I have a slight waterfall. How did you do your ATO sensors? Put it at the same height as the current return water level?

howaboutme

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome thanks for the info. I'll adjust it a hair when I get home to make sure I have a slight waterfall. How did you do your ATO sensors? Put it at the same height as the current return water level?

I have an ATO that uses a pressure sensor (like a probe). I just placed it where the "high" (which is off) is close to the water line. Then the "low" will turn it on to fill up to the high. Keep in mind that for a pressure sensor, there isn't a marking for low and high. It's all about tuning.

OP
OP
lagnew904

lagnew904

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have an ATO that uses a pressure sensor (like a probe). I just placed it where the "high" (which is off) is close to the water line. Then the "low" will turn it on to fill up to the high. Keep in mind that for a pressure sensor, there isn't a marking for low and high. It's all about tuning.
Ok you have the Avast marine one I assume? That's the same one I ordered. Originally I was going to make my own with 2 relays and a latch circuit to prevent any cycle of the pump until the high level was reached. But I don't think there is enough room to do it. Plus the Avast one looked good enough.

howaboutme

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok you have the Avast marine one I assume? That's the same one I ordered. Originally I was going to make my own with 2 relays and a latch circuit to prevent any cycle of the pump until the high level was reached. But I don't think there is enough room to do it. Plus the Avast one looked good enough.

Yes, the avast. Just note that it's a tight fit in that chamber. I have my water level about 1" higher so I think you'll have an easier time getting it to the right level because the top of my pressure sensor (where the 1/4" tube fits) is basically right at the top making it not possible for me to have the sump lid on completely. That's okay with me but just be aware. Note that none of this may matter because I have one of the older sensors and their new ones have slightly different dimension.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 75 86.2%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 6.9%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 3 3.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.4%
Back