Need help with rocks curing

G_Lows

Glows
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am in the process of starting a new tank. I have enough rock for it and most of it has been laying outside to dry (2months). I did an acid bath but on some of the pieces you can still see fuzz from a previous red turf outbreak as well as some old tissue from some zoas. For my new tank I would like to start from scratch and have nothing on the rocks. Should I acid dip again? Or should I bite the bullet and buy new rock?

NeonRabbit221B

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Acid dipping should be fine. I prefer bleaching but to each their own. How long did you leave the rock in acid? I wouldn’t suggest buying more rock as a gallon of muratic or bleach is under $5

BradB

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd just leave the rock in fresh or salt water for a long time. I've been in the hobby 20 years and always wished I used less rock, so I wouldn't buy more.

OP
OP
G_Lows

G_Lows

Glows
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Acid dipping should be fine. I prefer bleaching but to each their own. How long did you leave the rock in acid? I wouldn’t suggest buying more rock as a gallon of muratic or bleach is under $5
I left in the acid for 20 minutes. I would say at a 15:1 ratio

frank1203

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I cured my rock in a tub for when I first started. No acid bath. I Left them there for 3 months with a circulation pump. Never had an issue.

OP
OP
G_Lows

G_Lows

Glows
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To get rid of any organic matter bleach is the best weapon.
I know brs says not to, but can I bleach cure in my basement or garage? I live in an area where it is going to be well below freezing for the next week.

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
I know brs says not to, but can I bleach cure in my basement or garage? I live in an area where it is going to be well below freezing for the next week.
I have to agree with them to a point. In a closed basement where fumes could travel up into a living space, could/would be bad.
If you have some ventilation in your garage might be a better option. I did it myself in my garage ( in the winter), but my door to the outside doesn't seal real well, and my door from inside my house to the garage does seal.
I wouldn't get too radical with the bleach. About 2 cups per 5 gallons of water for 48 hours should remove most everything organic. If not do it again.

NeonRabbit221B

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Home Depot bucket with a lid will keep it sealed and fume free just fine. Bleach solutions break down quickly so after 36 hours at a 1:10 ratio it will be fairly ineffective. Rinse well and soak with Prime for another 12 hours. Air dry until there is no bleach smell.

OP
OP
G_Lows

G_Lows

Glows
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When doing a bleach cure does water need heated and or circulation?

NeonRabbit221B

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When doing a bleach cure does water need heated and or circulation?
I would think room temperature + or - 10 degrees is cold. Circulation is not needed but might help as once the bleach kills organics it may render it ineffective but it’s just a guess.... maybe @Randy Holmes-Farley could answer that.

when I have done it in the past I have gently swished the mixture in my sealed buckets. I think time is the biggest factor

OP
OP
G_Lows

G_Lows

Glows
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am currently curing all my rock in a brute in the garage. 10:1 ration with 25 gallons of water.. the rock is for a 150 so I have a lot. However temps are below freezing here in Ohio. 16 degrees tonight and for the next few. My garage will most likely stay warm but not room temp warm.. maybe upper 30s? I could move it to the basement but then comes the issue of fumes..

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
I don't see how the water temp could possibly affect the outcome.
Unless it freezes the water.

If you are worried about, then drop in a heater

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I would bleach them and then cold water rinse for at least 30 mins to neutralize bleach

jimmykimm

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 38 44.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 20 23.3%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 26 30.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.3%
Back