Need Help with Tang Selections and Quantity

AKL1950

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Getting ready to start stocking my new WaterBox 220.6. DT will be approximately 165 gallons and eventually SPS dominate. First two tangs to go in will be a Tomini Flame and an Orange Shoulder. They are just about finished with quarantine. At some point I want to put in a Gem Tang.

My questions are, can I go up to five Tangs, and if so, what would be good selections for numbers 4 and 5. I have had Naso’s and Hippo’s and like both of those. I’m looking for suggestions on other candidates that would not cause too much friction with the ones I have and a Gem. I know the Naso and hippo will get large and wanted to look at others that might not get so big. I’ve also had a Powder Blue. Would love to get one again, but trying to manage aggression. I really want to get the Gem and don’t want it bullied.

Being reasonable, I could also just stay at four total tangs If five is too many.

Suggestions?

Jetson

fishski13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe look into the Blue Atlantic Tang, Chevron Tang, or the Achilles Tang if you want something more unique and not found often.

I would say the tang you have already listed would be good additions.

Its hard to tell how much tangs you can have in a tank of your size. Its all about looking for any aggression between the tangs you are going to put in and than tangs you put in afterwards. I would suggest not waiting too long after to add tangs as that may spray aggression from the tangs that have already been in the tank for a while. Another suggestion is maybe get the tangs you want small and than let them grow together which might limit any aggression and create a peaceful environment.

I have always been told not to put in multiple tangs from the same family and shape, so like yellow tang with purple tang etc.

Hopefully that helps.

Jeffcb

Tang tang
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hit or miss really. I have a Gem, Purple, Scopas, Blond Naso and a Vlamingii tangs in my 79 inch tank. DT is 224 gal.

They do just fine. I did add the 3 Zebrasomas all at once and and first. I was touch and go for a little while. First the Scopas bullied the Purple and they one day the tables turned and Purple is boss now.

Good luck

OP
OP
AKL1950

AKL1950

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Understand on both posts. I was going to try and get everyone about the same size if I can. If I stick with Naso and hippo, they shouldn’t be a problem. My only worry is the Gem and Orange Shoulder. My plan was to get a Gem a little bigger than the others so he becomes boss. Don’t know if that will work, but that’s my going in plan.

I guess it’s unfortunate that the coolest looking ones are the aggressive ones. I would love to have an Achilles and/or a powder Blue, but I think I would just be creating a bad situation. Those two and the Gem were my top choices, but I’m too apprehensive about putting them together.

if I stick with five and stay with the Naso and hippo, they would go in next and then the Gem last, but get it a little bigger than the others. Or, maybe just stick with four. Since I can only get two of them through quarantine at a time, it’s going to be a little drawn out.. I can’t get all through QT at once unless I get them really small. I will have put in the other fish alone the way, so maybe others in the tank will keep aggression between tangs to a minimum.

thanks for your thoughts on it.

Jetson

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 40.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 27 20.5%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 36.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back