Need help with toadstool please!

Doglips56

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m hoping someone can help me here. I have a toadstool I bought about 3 or so years ago. It was tiny. It had grown to about 5x the size it was when I got it. For no apparent reason (chemistry is stable) it has pulled in its polyps or whatever they’re called and been closed up. It also appears to be shrinking. It isn’t extending at all. I’m not quite sure what to do. To my knowledge there have been no swings in parameters but I don’t have an Apex or any kind of continuous monitoring other than temp.
These parameters have been very consistent for almost a year. I dose a small amount of All For Reef hourly on a pump
Yesterday:
Temp: 78.6
pH 8.0 (Hanna)
dKH - 8.4 (Hanna)
Specific Gravity 1.025
PO4 high yesterday at .12 with GFO running (Hanna)
NO3 high 25 (Hanna) but has been for a long time even with ReefMat, skimmer, bio balls, matrix, water changes (done yesterday after I tested H2O (have turned of bio all reactor because it seemed to make nitrates higher)‍♀️
Calcium and Magnesium (NYOS) 420 & 1270 respectively
Can’t think of anything else. Everything else is happy and healthy

About a week ago:
IMG_5448.jpeg

Now (for at least 5 days):
IMG_6450.jpeg

Sorry I don’t have a good camera/filters. It’s a light pink color usually

Please help, I don’t want to lose it!

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hi, are you familiar with molting ? white light pics or shine flashlight on it w lights off for pic.
As far as params , look good , mag a little low, Po4 ,No 3 fine at those levels , JME... :)

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I’m hoping someone can help me here. I have a toadstool I bought about 3 or so years ago. It was tiny. It had grown to about 5x the size it was when I got it. For no apparent reason (chemistry is stable) it has pulled in its polyps or whatever they’re called and been closed up. It also appears to be shrinking. It isn’t extending at all. I’m not quite sure what to do. To my knowledge there have been no swings in parameters but I don’t have an Apex or any kind of continuous monitoring other than temp.
These parameters have been very consistent for almost a year. I dose a small amount of All For Reef hourly on a pump
Yesterday:
Temp: 78.6
pH 8.0 (Hanna)
dKH - 8.4 (Hanna)
Specific Gravity 1.025
PO4 high yesterday at .12 with GFO running (Hanna)
NO3 high 25 (Hanna) but has been for a long time even with ReefMat, skimmer, bio balls, matrix, water changes (done yesterday after I tested H2O (have turned of bio all reactor because it seemed to make nitrates higher)‍♀️
Calcium and Magnesium (NYOS) 420 & 1270 respectively
Can’t think of anything else. Everything else is happy and healthy

About a week ago:
IMG_5448.jpeg

Now (for at least 5 days):
IMG_6450.jpeg

Sorry I don’t have a good camera/filters. It’s a light pink color usually

Please help, I don’t want to lose it!
Give it a few gentle blasts with a turkey baster and assure its getting decent flow. Aim flow towards it and not at it under moderate to medium light and it will perk up. It may be skinned over with a film due to lack of flow as mentioned by Fishguy

OP
OP
Doglips56

Doglips56

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Give it a few gentle blasts with a turkey baster and assure its getting decent flow. Aim flow towards it and not at it under moderate to medium light and it will perk up. It may be skinned over with a film due to lack of flow as mentioned by Fishguy
It gets good flow but maybe wants more? It’s been exploding in growth over the past several months. It’s been extending its polyps just a little bit the last couple of days. It has don’t this before but never for this many consecutive days.
Thanks everyone for your replies. I will adjust the mag

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 15.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 84 56.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 7.4%
Back