Need Help with two Damsels (Chrysiptera cyanea)

windsor_salt

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone! I'm new to this community and recently cycled my tank. I've become quite fond of two damsels (Chrysiptera cyanea), both of the all-blue variety, which I believe are both females. In a nutshell, one of them attempted to harm the other, leaving the latter on the brink of death. I managed to rescue her and placed her in a breeder box, where she seems to be recovering, even eating better now. However, the other damsel is still displaying aggression towards her. I'm looking for advice on how to handle this situation. The injured damsel has been in the breeder box for 2 days, and I'm eager to reintegrate her into the tank. Unfortunately, the other one is still trying to break through the breeder's mesh and harm her. I'd like to keep both of them in the tank, which is a 20-gallon long with plenty of hiding spots. However, the injured damsel tends to stick to one corner of the tank. Should I consider using a piece of egg crate to keep them separated within the tank? Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
20 gallons isn't enough room for a pair of damsels. As you've probably noticed, they can be fairly territorial. I have 3 blue devils in my tank - but the display is 160 gallons with plenty of territory to not fight over.

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've got 2 damsels in a 20 gallon, a yellow tail and an azure, that kept trying to kill each other. I put an eggcrate barrier in the middle of the tank, and when I took it out about 4-5 months later, they stay on their side of the tank. They go right up to the middle of the tank where the barrier used to be, but they won't cross, its pretty cool, its about 6 months they've been living without the barrier.

I don't know if it works every time or if it was just a fluke.

Last edited:

MoshJosh

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
20 gallons is probably a bit small unless they pair up (could happen eventually as they are hermaphroditic like clowns I think???). Regardless I would swap them. Put the bully in the box for a while and let the victim have the whole tank.

OP
OP
W

windsor_salt

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
20 gallons is probably a bit small unless they pair up (could happen eventually as they are hermaphroditic like clowns I think???). Regardless I would swap them. Put the bully in the box for a while and let the victim have the whole tank.
Wow interesting, so would one develop yellow tail, nose, belly?

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 46 16.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 18 6.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 35 12.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 159 57.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 6.8%

Back