What to do with a troubled Damsel?

windsor_salt

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have two damsels in my tank and would like to introduce a pair of clowns. However one of the damsels is a lunatic. The other one is very passive. I currently have a divider in the tank as the one was nearly killed the other fish. I nursed the nearly dead one back to life... which I am honestly suprised he lived. He is fully recovered is looking very health. However I'm at a point where I am getting sick of this divider. I cannot bring the fish back to the LFS and no one wants to re-home him locally even for free. So I do not know what to do. Does anyone think if I put him in a breeder box for a little bit it will tame his aggression while I add the clowns?

Thanks everyone.

Brazilian Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have two damsels in my tank and would like to introduce a pair of clowns. However one of the damsels is a lunatic. The other one is very passive. I currently have a divider in the tank as the one was nearly killed the other fish. I nursed the nearly dead one back to life... which I am honestly suprised he lived. He is fully recovered is looking very health. However I'm at a point where I am getting sick of this divider. I cannot bring the fish back to the LFS and no one wants to re-home him locally even for free. So I do not know what to do. Does anyone think if I put him in a breeder box for a little bit it will tame his aggression while I add the clowns?

Thanks everyone.
Hello. Which kind of damsel is it?

Brazilian Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Which size is your tank?
I tried to keep Green Chromis, here… originally had a single one, but then added two others. Eventually only one survived. Apparentely they have killed each other.
Later I learned that one of the keys to success with school fish is adding another kind of school fish group, so, instead of fighting each other, they unite for protection. That makes sense?

Brazilian Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello. Which kind of damsel is it?
Depending on the kind of damsel, you won’t have peace until you remove it from the tank. And, depending on the size of your tank, your clowns can cause trouble in the future… clowns can be such a headache.
I had to establish a pico reef for my Ocellaris couple because they started beating the other fish to death…

Sebastiancrab

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agree with the others. Two damsels usually won't work. I too would love another one. Try posting to your local reef club for free fish. Local fish stores near me would take it back without a refund. Another option is to contact reef maintenance service people and they can find a place probably.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 37 15.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 135 58.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 16 6.9%

Back