Need Help with Water Level Sensors

dkosdros

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello.

I got my Apex all up and running and I have a Breakout Box. I bought this to serve the purpose of letting me know if my sump is to high or to low, as well as I wanted to put a sensor in my ATO container so the Apex will text me when it's low and one for when it's full and do the same for my salt water mix container. They are 44 gal Brute trash cans so I need sensors that can be submerged and have a long enough wire on them to be at the bottom of the container and then reach the Breakout box. I'm thinking like 6-8ft of wire. I've seen you can buy like packs of 5 float sensors. I'm just not sure if I should go with these. If the wire will be long enough, and how I would even mount them in the Brute can at or near the bottom. Looking for any and all suggestions. Thanks

Kentech5

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got one of those float sensor 5 packs on Amazon. Pretty sure the cord wouldn't reach the bottom of a brute. Definitely sure now that I pulled one out.
6160014dfa1f3d66be626b22f6f83d10.jpg

Clothes hanger and my knee for reference.

p7willm

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The current for the BOB is real low, only milliamps, and you can use just about any wire you want. I use wire intended for security systems. It's cheap and I use solid so It kind of stays put when I bend it.

OP
OP
dkosdros

dkosdros

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all I got the package from Amazon and as expected the wire was not a lot in length. I plan on adding extra wire and I think I'm going to seal it all in a pvc tube that will reach the bottom of the brute cans and have a sensor connected at the bottom and one near the top and then seal it all in the pvc so it's water tight. Thanks for all your advice and help

redfishbluefish

Stay Positive, Stay Productive
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pick up a horizontal float switch and drill a hole in the Brute to fit the switch. All the wires are on the outside, not exposed to saltwater. These work great.

Horizontal Float Switch

OP
OP
dkosdros

dkosdros

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea I've seen the horizontal ones and that was my first choice however I'm hesitant to put two holes in the side of each brute this giving me potentially 4 holes that could leak at some point. I feel safer using the pvc and sealing it good so I don't compromise the integrity of the brute and risk any potential leaks. I'm all about the worst case scenario. Lol

andrewey

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the link for my horizontal float switches- going to install those in my mixing containers!

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 45 21.3%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 73 34.6%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 70 33.2%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 19 9.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.9%
Back