Need ID Please

Chelle's Ocean

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have something- although cool- is unknown

Have a couple photos on my thread here on R2R- as well as video on my facebook page-
[ https://www.facebook.com/michelle.yingst ] it is small, greyish/white base, has feathery tentacles, and small green dots/bulbs that ring around between the base and tentacles.. need help id'ing- store says definitely an anemone- not a hell's fire- that they have one other in the tank they pulled this rock from- does not stong them- but will sting other coral. But they do not know what kind it is.
Still.. curious to find out what it is... any thoughts? Google is of no help at this time :(

GHsaltie

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To me it appears to have an anemone base. So you got the rock from the same tank that they previously found a hells fire anemone in?
@Lionfish Lair

AcroNem

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't believe it's Actinodendron plumosum, the actual "hells fire". I think this one is Heterodactyla hemprichii. There was another user who had many of them and reported that they didn't really sting strongly, but would definitely bother other corals. I think they look fascinating.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Chelle's Ocean

Chelle's Ocean

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The store (when I called) said they "had found one, but are not able to id it".. mine apparently is the baby of that? New facebook suggestion is : phymanthus ... so at this point, a frilly anemone is much better (and wanted) than a fire anemone, lol... concensus is wait, give it time, and see what it does/ grows into as is so tiny now, hard to tell ...

OP
OP
Chelle's Ocean

Chelle's Ocean

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't believe it's Actinodendron plumosum, the actual "hells fire" I think this one is Heterodactyla hemprichii. There was another user who had many of them and reported that they didn't really sting strongly, but would definitely bother other corals. I think they look fascinating.
Thank you for the info

OP
OP
Chelle's Ocean

Chelle's Ocean

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for looking . Yes, going to let it get a bit bigger, and watch it / log any changes or identifying features that may become more visible as it grows

OP
OP
Chelle's Ocean

Chelle's Ocean

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Updates as of now...

20170524_203745.jpg

OP
OP
Chelle's Ocean

Chelle's Ocean

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He was staying at the top of the tank.. at the waterline...but as of yesterday he has moved to far right end of aquarium.. attaching to a pvc leg of one of my stands

AcroNem

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't think you'd have any problems with it hurting fish, only a couple anemones you need to be worried about there. With corals though it could sting them, I think it's cool but keep an eye on it to be sure. If it stays on the PVC that'd be great, but we know that probably won't happen (;

OP
OP
Chelle's Ocean

Chelle's Ocean

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, definitely do not want a hell's fire in my reef, lol. It is cool. And pretty. But I don't feel comfortable with it.. was hoping as it grew it could be id'd as something else. Here's the latest photo. He has been pink past couple days, and has moved to the upper most top of rock, same pvc stand...

Since he is pretty.. I guess I am now setting up a small tank for him only, lol.. to watch how he grows..

20170527_163722.jpg

AcroNem

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@AcroNem I'm curious to know what features makes you think it's H. hemprichii and not A. plumosum.

Happy to add more thoughts. A. plumosum has a more branched, thick, and spaced out tentacle structure while H. hemprichii is more thin and feathery like this specimen is.

GHsaltie

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Happy to add more thoughts. A. plumosum has a more branched, thick, and spaced out tentacle structure while H. hemprichii is more thin and feathery like this specimen is.

Hmm, that's interesting. Do you by any chance have some reference pictures?

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 40.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 27 20.5%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 36.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back