Need Opinion New lights or wave maker

Kplum

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am scratching my head, I can upgrade my lights to 2 prime HD from an Aquatic life Edge reef light,
Or upgrade to a Wavemaker from a rossmont mover M900.. I am curious what you guys feel is more important.. thanks in advance!

Jonify

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Depends on what your current light is. If you're already pushing 150-250 PAR, leave the lights alone. If your tank is already getting 20X turnover, leave the wavemaker alone. Find something else to spend money on :)

OP
OP
Kplum

Kplum

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Depends on what your current light is. If you're already pushing 150-250 PAR, leave the lights alone. If your tank is already getting 20X turnover, leave the wavemaker alone. Find something else to spend money on :)
I need to measure par, probably at 10x turnover, 80 par if I had to guess..

OP
OP
Kplum

Kplum

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have more information about your system? Size parameters etc.
40 gallon breeder..
I am just at 420gph
One power head..
running the Aquatic life edge reef lights, only keep a green star polyp and a green and orange mushroom.. had them about two weeks now..

Temp is 77
Salinity 1.024
PH 8.2
Everything else is just as good..

Nick Steele

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How much are you looking to spend?

You could do cheap wavemakers such as jebao (I use two sow4 on a 20G) and possibly still get the lights for around $500 to help both situations.

rusty hannon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am scratching my head, I can upgrade my lights to 2 prime HD from an Aquatic life Edge reef light,
Or upgrade to a Wavemaker from a rossmont mover M900.. I am curious what you guys feel is more important.. thanks in advance!
I would have to say lights but I must tell you I just put the rossmount in my wife's system and its super cool. You have to have their controler or they won't come on but what you can do with them is amazing.

OP
OP
Kplum

Kplum

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How much are you looking to spend?

You could do cheap wavemakers such as jebao (I use two sow4 on a 20G) and possibly still get the lights for around $500 to help both situations.
I just want to spend $500 right now.. so, it’s one or the other.. maybe hit the lights and find the Wavemaker later..
You have more par than 80. You should really decide what you want your tank to look like/be in the future, and buy items with that in mind. Not just good enough for right now

And that’s the deal.. I am uncertain..
I have two clowns and 3 frags.. if I go frags, bring the lights, if I go fish bring the Wavemaker..
may just hit the more expensive one for now.. because I am leaning more toward coral, because I have a 40g breeder

joseserrano

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just want to spend $500 right now.. so, it’s one or the other.. maybe hit the lights and find the Wavemaker later..

And that’s the deal.. I am uncertain..
I have two clowns and 3 frags.. if I go frags, bring the lights, if I go fish bring the Wavemaker..
may just hit the more expensive one for now.. because I am leaning more toward coral, because I have a 40g breeder
Flow is more Coral related than fish

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A wavemaker should much cheaper. However, avoid the cheap chinese ones if possible. I really like my sicce voyager and it doesn't cost much.

un5tab1e

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lights and flow all depend on what you want your tank to be. Softies and LPS don't need the same high par and high flow as a SPS tank. For 500 if you go used and look at the Classifieds regularly you can replace both.

Nick Steele

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If the tank isn’t bothering you atm I’d say buy wavemakers now and light in a couple months then. The light you have seem to be okay for a lps tank so many you could just add softie and lps corals until you can get the lights. Here’s a link to where they talk about the par output from our current lights and while not the best isn’t terrible either.

Jebao wavemakers are cheap but imo worth every penny. I’ve had mine for 10 months and not a single issue. Cost me $100 for both sow4’s and I wouldn’t go any different for my tank and budget.

Two ai lights will run you around $480 with mounts. More important for tougher corals and

SMSREEF

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Like others said, I would go with the AI’s and get Jebao OW wavemaker. I don’t even know that I would start with 2 because they are pretty powerful.

OP
OP
Kplum

Kplum

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is what I ended up with.. gotta wait a minute for lights.

B072BC9E-960C-4BFC-AA7A-4140ECA86411.jpeg

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 24 29.6%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 30 37.0%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 21 25.9%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 5 6.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.2%
Back