Need opinion on schooling fish

Reefer5060

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I want to add a school of something to the new tank like 3-5 fish. Question is chromis or Bangai cardinals ?

Dowtish

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well that comes down to movement, and how much you want in your tank. chromis are going to be swimming a lot, and the cardinals will just kinda float together. If you plan on having some other active fish, I would go with the cardinals. Chromis have a pecking order, and if you get 5, you will end up with 2.

coral88

Hobbyist for now
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's what happens to me I have added 6-10 chromis to a few tanks over the years from 20gal to 120gal and after a few months I end up with 1 or 2.
I had one that lasted over a year by himself. The up side to cardinals is you might get them to breed and that would be fun to see.

coral88

Hobbyist for now
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think im talking myself into Cardinals. I just wish they had more color.

rcmike

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had the same experience with chromis. They will school together at first but once they settle in the dominate ones will start picking on the weaker ones and after a few months you will end up with one chromis.

OP
OP
R

Reefer5060

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been reading about anthias the are awesome but I've heard you either get a good one or a bad one ? Are the hard to care for ? To big for a 40 breeder?

bct15

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I must have good luck with chromis, I started off with 8 two years ago and I still have six. One died because he jumped onto the floor and was injured the other one was actually killed by a sixline wrasse when it turned evil. They are cool fish that move around a lot...

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 45 20.6%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 76 34.9%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 72 33.0%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 21 9.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.8%
Back